Ruin Going Forward
First and foremost, I am one of the killers that actually likes the new setup for Ruin. I like that it rewards killers for being willing to pressure gens. On the down side, I don't know that it is powerful enough to warrant the risk of a totem. I started a match the other day and my Hex: Ruin was just outside the killer shack, and it was facing the open field. You could see it from across the map. I normally don't run right to my hex totem, but I decided to this time, but it blew up before I could get there.
If I'm going to risk losing a whole perk in the first 20 seconds, it should be more powerful, like DH is.
What are the thoughts towards removing the hex aspect of this perk? I know, initially, the thought is not just now, but HE-- NO! But think about it for a second. The only way new Ruin punishes survivors is:
- If they are pushed off the gen by a killer and chased. If they are being chased, 3 other survivors are able to get on gens and suffer zero impact of Ruin.
- If the Killer gives short chase, scores a hit, and peels off to pressure another gen, now you have 2 gens regressing. This means the killer is not tunneling, it also means the killer is not camping. The killer is prioritizing gens. Survivors complain about camping and tunneling a lot, this perk encourages doing the opposite. By making a non-hex perk, more killers will run it, and will be encouraged to pressure gens.
- In the scenario above, survivor A is run off a gen, hit, and the killer then peels off to Survivor B on a nearby gen. If Survivor A chooses to take the time to self-care/heal then he pays the price with strong regression on the gens. If the survivor foregoes healing and jumps on the gen, Ruin is doing nothing to harm him/her now, but they are accepting the risk of being downed faster if the killer surprises them.
- Survivors are harshly punished if they play too immersed and don't re-engage gens. This teaches survivors to not toy around too much, or risk losing all progress.
I think removing Hex from Ruin would be a good step for the game as whole. It is a win/win for both sides as the perk encourages active engagement by the killer, as opposed to proxy camping or singling in on one survivor. As it is, the perk is not overly attractive because of how vulnerable Hex totems are in the game.
Just my thoughts.
Comments