The epidemic of new killers hook camping

As a play who mostly plays as a killer, I’m used to receiving messages after games, the occasional trash talker when I have a bad game, the abundance of “GG”s that I genuinely enjoy seeing good gam or not, but one message that has flooded my inbox is “thank you for not camping hook” or some variation. I had always thought it was an unspoken rule that once you hook a survivor, you move, not only to hunt others, but to also give them a chance to be unhooked, as to make the game fair and fun. After a few games played as survivor, I had 7 different killers camp the hooks, many of them new, a few veterans as well. I’m writing this in hopes of sparking a discussion on the topic, as well as hopefully showing new players that this isn’t the respectful way to play.

Comments

  • I had always thought it was an unspoken rule that once you hook a survivor, you move

    It's not unspoken. It's the law, rtfm.

    The Killer Rule Book

    by Survivors for Killers.

  • @Mr_K said:

    I had always thought it was an unspoken rule that once you hook a survivor, you move

    It's not unspoken. It's the law, rtfm.

    The Killer Rule Book

    by Survivors for Killers.

    Thank you so much for reminding me of that gold mine, as well as the animated YouTube series

  • lmao I've resorted to that too, thanking people for not camping the hook or hard tunneling. Especially so if it's a killer known for it e.g. Wraith, Pig, etc

  • @Trappers_anonymous said:

    As a play who mostly plays as a killer, I’m used to receiving messages after games, the occasional trash talker when I have a bad game, the abundance of “GG”s that I genuinely enjoy seeing good gam or not, but one message that has flooded my inbox is “thank you for not camping hook” or some variation. I had always thought it was an unspoken rule that once you hook a survivor, you move, not only to hunt others, but to also give them a chance to be unhooked, as to make the game fair and fun. After a few games played as survivor, I had 7 different killers camp the hooks, many of them new, a few veterans as well. I’m writing this in hopes of sparking a discussion on the topic, as well as hopefully showing new players that this isn’t the respectful way to play.

    What is the respectful way to play then?

    Survivors Logic: Killer must leave the game for it to be fair. All survivors are entitled to an escape.

    Most of the time, camping is a result of some tactic a survivor used that made the killer want to get rid of them quickly. Or it’s a last resort for a kill.

  • @LustForBP said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/121106/the-epidemic-of-new-killers-hook-camping

    What is the respectful way to play then?

    Survivors Logic: Killer must leave the game for it to be fair. All survivors are entitled to an escape.

    Most of the time, camping is a result of some tactic a survivor used that made the killer want to get rid of them quickly. Or it’s a last resort for a kill.

    Well, let’s take a look at it, if your hook camping a troll who’s been running a strat that may or may not be taking advantage of an exploit, that’s acceptable, you taking away a toxic player, though with a toxic strat on your part as well, however when you hook camp a survivor on first hook, with 5 gens still undone, and either force them to escape and struggle or dc, that’s just being toxic. Thank you for bringing that up

  • New Killers call it "securing the kill" not realizing how badly it affects BP and emblem gain. Camping is a legit strategy at times, but you are better off patrolling. As has been shown in many wars, speed and mobility is a winner. Sitting on your ass around a campfire will not win you much of anything but salt.

    Even if they are a toxic PoS, it's better not to camp because then you are just giving them what they want. Attention that mommy and daddy didn't give to them. Just hook em and move on along to the next victim. Just be sure to check around the vicinity for any lemmings that might be rushing in for the save.

  • @Mringasa said:

    New Killers call it "securing the kill" not realizing how badly it affects BP and emblem gain. Camping is a legit strategy at times, but you are better off patrolling. As has been shown in many wars, speed and mobility is a winner. Sitting on your ass around a campfire will not win you much of anything but salt.

    Even if they are a toxic PoS, it's better not to camp because then you are just giving them what they want. Attention that mommy and daddy didn't give to them. Just hook em and move on along to the next victim. Just be sure to check around the vicinity for any lemmings that might be rushing in for the save.

    Any seasoned killer is probably not going to care much about points, or emblems. If I want points, I slap on BBQ and a pudding/streamer and can get upwards of 80-90k a game. If I don't have BBQ, the build is made for a 4k. Emblems are a joke and you can 4k depip if you don't play the game nice enough.

    Securing your kills is a way to win, same with tunneling weak survivors off the hook. It's usually not worth it to camp from 1st hook to dead, but 2nd hook to dead? Absolutely.

    Tunneling someone off if they don't have DS and are bad in a chase? That is optimal killer gameplay.

  • @Trappers_anonymous said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1004151#Comment_1004151

    Well, let’s take a look at it, if your hook camping a troll who’s been running a strat that may or may not be taking advantage of an exploit, that’s acceptable, you taking away a toxic player, though with a toxic strat on your part as well, however when you hook camp a survivor on first hook, with 5 gens still undone, and either force them to escape and struggle or dc, that’s just being toxic. Thank you for bringing that up

    It’s my choice. If I choose to hook someone with 5 gens up, it’s not my problem if the survivors aren’t playing optimally to take advantage.

    Camping is a strategy just as much as looping. It’s a great way to get rid of an annoying survivor.

    Call it toxic if you want, it’s a strategy as much as looping.

  • @Apple2o said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1004191#Comment_1004191

    Any seasoned killer is probably not going to care much about points, or emblems. If I want points, I slap on BBQ and a pudding/streamer and can get upwards of 80-90k a game. If I don't have BBQ, the build is made for a 4k. Emblems are a joke and you can 4k depip if you don't play the game nice enough.

    Securing your kills is a way to win, same with tunneling weak survivors off the hook. It's usually not worth it to camp from 1st hook to dead, but 2nd hook to dead? Absolutely.

    Tunneling someone off if they don't have DS and are bad in a chase? That is optimal killer gameplay.

    Ranking system is flawed anyways. I was a red rank killer, before I quit caring, and placed with Greens and Yellows. So playing for rank is honestly pointless. I play for BP and just for enjoyment. If I want to camp someone, oh well. I play more “toxic” survivors than I do killers.