Is Susie Latina?
I never really took the time to look Susie’s unmasked model up and down in good detail, so this entire time I just went under the presumption that she was white. Taking a good look at her though, I’ve noticed a couple interesting things.
-Her skin tone, though not dark by any means, is substantially less pale than Julie’s or Frank’s. Obviously Caucasian people can easily have a darker skin tone than these two examples since there’s a difference between being white and being pale, but I would say Susie’s skin tone looks less like a richly-toned white and more like a light brown.
-Susie’s eyes appear to be small and slanted, implying the presence of epicanthic folds. While it is possible for white people to posses this feature, it is much more commonly seen in people of mestizo heritage.
-I’m absolutely terrible at both biology and anthropology, but something about Susie’s jawline and chin says “Latina” to me. I tried comparing the jaw shape of Latin American women to the jaw shape of white women, and while what little research I knew to do seemed to portray the average Latin American woman with a wider jawline and more forward chin similar to the one Susie has, I haven’t actually done any studies or taken any statistical measurements to prove such a fact. Above all else, it’s mostly just a hunch.
I’m left confused and curious. This entire time I thought Susie was white and just didn’t think anything of it. Now, though, I’m really not too sure. My girlfriend is currently sketching out a drawing of Frank and Susie, and neither of us are sure whether to portray her as Latina or as Caucasian. What do you think? Have the devs made any statements about Susie’s heritage?
Comments
Maybe. Living so far north makes it likely she's ethnically Latina but her nationality is Canadian. (Yes, there is a difference.)
Pretty sure she’s white. I’ve looked at so many pictures of her in game and that’s what I conclude.
@Demogordon_Ramsay
This is more of a lore question/debate for the Lore Sub-Forum, but i'll answer it regardless.
the sub-questions
For this i'll answer each sub-question through a bulleted list below, just to make things easier:
conclusion
Personally I don't want to make any assumptions about someones ethnicity or anything like that, as it's truly difficult to get an accurate answer off of a model with several different images that portray her in different lighting, let alone a real person for example. Also, her "happy" expression never changes, unlike Franks for example that's always left in a rested and neutral expression.
For the sake of the question though, I gave some opinions on it that clashes with yours. Whether or not it may "convince" you otherwise was not my intention, my intention was to just give you another view on it, and what you take away from it is up to you.
At the end of the day, we can't always determine someones ethnicity off of how they look alone, especially if it's a model from a video game, one that never has a changing expression and different lighting used on each image that portrays them in a different way.
Perhaps you can try asking a dev in an open Q&A or something, otherwise, it's just best left up to assumption until they either give a response or not. Either way, this is what i'll give to you as an "answer" of sorts.