The ease of ranking up as survivor skews kill rate statistics in red ranks.
While playing through the tome it didn't take long to learn survivor well enough to start ranking up. Before I knew it I was in red ranks. I saw a lot of other survivors there that were as good as I was, if not worse. Just a bunch of potatoes. What are potatoes good for? Killing, and eating (depending on who you are).
Now, what happens when a bunch of people who deserve to be green or purple rank enter red ranks? They die just the same as they do in green and purple ranks, but are doing so in red ranks. What effect does this have on the escape rate of survivors that deserve to be red rank? It balances their escape rate.
Overall the effect of this gives the appearance of killers being more successful in killing red rank survivors, but really those statistics they give us are skewed.
The strict conditions on ranking up killer - requiring 9 hook actions - also supports this idea.
The benefit of doing this is that when people say "Hey, the game is imbalanced." they can quip back and say, "Nuh uh, look at these statistics."
Comments
All part of the plan, why else would they remove rank reset?