What would you guys think of...

... a reset back to rank 20 each season?

I think there would be less potatoes at higher ranks, better queue times at lower ranks and more diversity.

What do you guys think, pros/cons?

Comments

  • @OnryosTapeRentals said:

    This is pretty much how rank reset used to work.

    Rank reset was changed though because this system was unfair to newer players because it meant players of rank 1 skill were being labelled as '20' and matched will actual rank 20s.

    It led to a frustrating experience for more confident players who were being pared with new teammates and it made new killers lose as they were being matched with those of a greater skill level.

    But wouldn't this only be the case right after rank reset? If the matchmaking were more accurate and not something like +-6 ranks could it work?

  • @OnryosTapeRentals said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/960882#Comment_960882

    Some survivors or killers decided to stay in the low ranks by intentionally depipping and such for easy games.

    It's why it's not possible to depip rank 15 anymore.

    which would be fixed by the dc penalty

  • There are other ways to make sure you don't pip without having to DC - don't touch a gen, don't escape and rescue teammates in the killer's face..

  • @Accullla said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/960944#Comment_960944

    There are other ways to make sure you don't pip without having to DC - don't touch a gen, don't escape and rescue teammates in the killer's face..

    Sure but doing that would literally make you a rank 20. Even now there are people like that. Or do you think a reset to R20 would cause a rising in depipping players.

  • @T2K said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/960960#Comment_960960

    Sure but doing that would literally make you a rank 20. Even now there are people like that. Or do you think a reset to R20 would cause a rising in depipping players.

    Maybe, but I don't think so. On the other hand, after many hours in the game, some survivors only enjoy getting chased, so they could technically stay at rank 20, make life miserable for new players and still enjoy themselves.

    Not saying that it will happen that often, but it's still technically possible.

    In my opinion BHVR should just make it really difficult to rank up and/or find a way to make it so that ranks are reflective of players' skill and not amount of time spent playing the game Then rank resets wouldn't really be necessary at all. No idea how to achieve that, but it should be possible.

  • @Accullla said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/961004#Comment_961004

    Maybe, but I don't think so. On the other hand, after many hours in the game, some survivors only enjoy getting chased, so they could technically stay at rank 20, make life miserable for new players and still enjoy themselves.

    Not saying that it will happen that often, but it's still technically possible.

    In my opinion BHVR should just make it really difficult to rank up and/or find a way to make it so that ranks are reflective of players' skill and not amount of time spent playing the game Then rank resets wouldn't really be necessary at all. No idea how to achieve that, but it should be possible.

    Yeah I get that. I just think there will always be players who like teasing newbies.

    The approach with the r20 reset is just a idea to get a sudden change of pace. In long term I think they need to rework the ranking system like you said.

  • Easiest thing would be to eliminate black pips for survivors, or make it significantly harder to achieve. As it stands, unless you're a complete potato or get tunneled into oblivion, you're going to at least get a black pip.

    Killer is opposite of that, you can work your butt off for only a black pip or depip.

  • @T2K said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/961021#Comment_961021

    Yeah I get that. I just think there will always be players who like teasing newbies.

    The approach with the r20 reset is just a idea to get a sudden change of pace. In long term I think they need to rework the ranking system like you said.

    True. You're right and the more I think about it your suggestion is possibly better for the game.

    However, until the proper overhaul of the whole ranking system that was promised in the 3rd year anniversary stream I'd personally like to give the current reset system a chance.

    Right know I've completely given up hopes of being matched up with and against players at my skill level, so I see the current approach to rank resets as a way to reduce my time waiting in lobbies, as it will push a lot more players into the higher ranks, potentially (hopefully) decreasing queue times at red ranks for both killers and survivors.

    Your suggestion will help out newbies with faster queues, but people at high ranks who will take about a week or less to get from 20 to 1-4 will have to endure even worse queues than they already do.

    Obviously, I'm biased towards red rank queue times at the expense of the new player experience, so it's a good thing that i'm not a developer!

  • @Accullla said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/961060#Comment_961060

    True. You're right and the more I think about it your suggestion is possibly better for the game.

    However, until the proper overhaul of the whole ranking system that was promised in the 3rd year anniversary stream I'd personally like to give the current reset system a chance.

    Right know I've completely given up hopes of being matched up with and against players at my skill level, so I see the current approach to rank resets as a way to reduce my time waiting in lobbies, as it will push a lot more players into the higher ranks, potentially (hopefully) decreasing queue times at red ranks for both killers and survivors.

    Your suggestion will help out newbies with faster queues, but people at high ranks who will take about a week or less to get from 20 to 1-4 will have to endure even worse queues than they already do.

    Obviously, I'm biased towards red rank queue times at the expense of the new player experience, so it's a good thing that i'm not a developer!

    Tbh I think r20 reset would not work with another ranking system or matchmaking. I agree, red rank queues would be awful. Dang its really difficult ^^

    I think the main problem atm is that ranking system and matchmaking arent working together. I hope the devs come up with a good idea for it.

  • @OnryosTapeRentals said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/960944#Comment_960944

    DCing is not the only way to depip. The DC penalty would not prevent:

    • Hook suicides
    • Avoiding objectives (to throw the Lightbringer Emblem)
    • Avoiding helping teammates (to throw the Benevloent Emblem)
    • Trolling
    • AFKing

    Yeah sure I didnt mean that would fix the whole depip thing. I was a bit confusing here.

    But you have the same thing happening atm and I think also always

  • @OnryosTapeRentals said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/962478#Comment_962478

    Yeah, this currently happens but allowing people to go back to rank 20 and stay there would cause a lot of issues for both sides.

    It would only exacerbate the issues we currently have with matchmaking, queue times and toxicity.

    Got you. Thats why I think r20 reset alone will be not the solution. But maybe could be part of it.

  • It will be a complete he11 in the first few weeks before players start climbing jntk their ranks. A complete nightmare. And I don't mean Freddy