Which do we balance around. The 1v4 or the 1v1

This is the question that is the main reason why Dead by Daylight can (most likely) not be balanced completely.

Let's look at both sides

• The 1v4 aspect looks at the game as a whole. This formula is preferred mostly by killer mains.

• The reason for balancing around the 1v4 makes sense, it is a 1v4 in a whole, but in the chase, it isn't. This formula would also equal (if both sides are equally as skilled) a 4 kill 0 survival rate. This makes sense, but we must look at the other side.

• The 1v1 aspect looks at the game as the main part of the game, the chase. This formula is preferred mostly by survivors.

• The reason for balancing around the 1v1, also makes sense. The main portion of the game where the killers and survivors are engaging in skillful interaction (skillful most of the times, cough, rancid abattoir and Ironworks window, uncough.) The chase, it is the true interaction of the game, but if we balance around the 1v1, the formula would result in (if both sides are equally skilled) around a 1 kill 3 survival ratio. Not good.

The main issue is, both sides are correct in their own way. And there isn't a great compromise between the two. Except 2 escape 2 death ratio, which is what devs are going for.

What do you think the game should be balanced around? I personally (survivor main bias sort of warning siren) think the chase should be balanced around the 1v1 but slightly adjusted, (aka ironworks window getting banned) but the other objectives should be balanced around the 1v4 and adjusted so they cannot have significant portions of the game done within the first chase. This could be done somehow, I'm not sure. Which is why I'm asking for your feedback, please try to be civil, all feedback is greatly appreciated.

Comments

  • Like I said before the only way this game would be balanced is if stealth was the core mechanic of the game.

    The game would actually be scary for one thing if survivors had to use their senses to find the killer and not a 32 meter warning and red stain that shows the killers vision.

    In terms of making it fair for survivors buffs would have to be implemented into their stealth meta game some way.

    I would actually enjoy playing survivor if it was all about stealth and keeping an eye out for the killer and if I wasent paying attention they'll be right around the corner jump scaring me or downing me pretty quick for not paying attention to my surroundings and hiding.

    Right now playing survivor is 1. Holding one button over a gen and occasionally doing a skill check. 2. As soon as I hear my 32 range heartbeat warning I determine whether the killer is headed toward me and run. This is boring as I dont feel scared of what's suppose to be the power role.

    The only time I get a good time as a survivor is if I'm playing against a stealth killer and I barely notice them in time to run and hide.

    Would Outlast and other horror games be fun if everytime you approached a jump scare you were given a 5 second warning it was gonna happen?

    In conclusion both sides would be more fun if the whole game was completely based on stealth.

  • The only statistic that matters is how quickly a killer can end a chase. This is a team game, so you wouldn't "balance" the game around the 1v1.

    That said, balancing around the 1v1 also affects how quickly the killer can end a chase, which means it's probably better than balancing it around a 1v4.

    It's a bit funny because when you look at it from the 1v1 and 1v4 perspective, you start to realize that it is balanced around the 1v4 and not the 1v1, which is where it matters most.

  • @DarthRane said:

    This is probably the dumbest question I've seen so far the game IS a 1v4 I understand your reasoning but the fact remains it's a 1v4 plain and simple if you balance around 1v1 no one is going to want to play killer plain and simple

    I'm more or less talking 1v1 as the chase.

    Not the game as a whole

    The game as a whole (usually) is a 1v4

    But the chase (usually) is a 1v1

    I'm trying to see what people think is the best middle ground.

  • @SammyWasabi said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/902985#Comment_902985

    I'm more or less talking 1v1 as the chase.

    Not the game as a whole

    The game as a whole (usually) is a 1v4

    But the chase (usually) is a 1v1

    I'm trying to see what people think is the best middle ground.

    If you balance the chase around 1v1 how is the killer supposed to win?

  • @DarthRane said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/902987#Comment_902987

    If you balance the chase around 1v1 how is the killer supposed to win?

    Exactly, the Killer's skill doesn't matter if you balance for the 1v1 in a 1v4 game. but if you balance around the 1v4 for a 1v1 chase, what does the survivor's skill matter.

    That's why I'm trying to ask for what the best common ground would be.

  • @SammyWasabi said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/901662#Comment_901662

    The 1v1 and 1v4 are the main aspects of the game, this was mainly to see which side people were on, and how they would justify it.

    The main reason I wanted to make this was to get feedback on this premise, and to see what changes we could suggest and see what is most reasonable and optimal.

    And I was more for the 1v1 balancing but adjusting some things for objectives, but now I'm more for the 2kill 2survival ratio, it was another way for me to challenge my views and positions.

    Well said. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and replying. Have a nice day m8

  • @SammyWasabi said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/902993#Comment_902993

    Exactly, the Killer's skill doesn't matter if you balance for the 1v1 in a 1v4 game. but if you balance around the 1v4 for a 1v1 chase, what does the survivor's skill matter.

    That's why I'm trying to ask for what the best common ground would be.

    The survivors skill matters in how long they prolong the chase and in their team working to take heat off of their friend, it's really it that complicated . The chase is NOT a 1 v1 it just feels like it cause rarely ever does anyone get off their ass to help you.

1 2 3 ›