Why Does Taking a Hit Near a Downed Survivor Not Count as Protection?
The title. It used to count as protection hits and it baffles me that it doesn't; if I decide to heal a downed survivor and go down for them, that should count as protection hits because I'm tanking hits for them. Hopefully this is a bug because if it isn't it'd be downright stupid.
Tagged:
Trusted
Comments
My guess is because you're not really protecting them from anything. You can't take hits for them if it's not even possible for them to get hit in the first place.
I would agree with this if taking a hit while they're being carried didn't count as a protection perk hit but it does
Perhaps the difference is that in one scenario you're buying them time to save themselves, while in the other you're not so much. People can wiggle off the killer's shoulder and run away if you take hits while they're being carried, but they can't get off the ground and run away without specialised perks no matter how many hits you take next to them.
Mmm true
But they can though, I have gone down for a lot of people and they've been able to get to safe ground without using any perks.
As I said, they can't actually escape the killer unaided even if you go down for them. They can crawl away, sure, but even if the killer doesn't find them they're still marked for death until a teammate comes to save them.
Ok, here's the scenario that happens a lot for me: I run up to the downed survivor, start healing, tank a hit, finish healing, and then tank another hit for them leaving me on the ground and they escape. Old MoM/WGLF would (potentially) grant me 2 stacks for that situation, but now it only grants one if I go down for that survivor when it should grant 2. Regardless if they get up or not, I'm still sacrificing myself for another person and it leaves me screwed anyways so there's no reason why it shouldn't grant a protection hit.
Well, I don't know what to tell ya 🤷 I think both arguments have their merits, but really I'm just speculating as to what reason the devs might possibly have had for changing protection hits the way they did.
The bigger question is: Why can't you take protection hits for exposed survivors.
It wouldn't have granted two, it used to have a 20 second cooldown between hits, also it is likely a bug rather than a balance change since downed survivors are "survivors in need"
I really hope it’s a bug.