Friendly Reminder for Devs about Master Challenges
Hi Devs,
I know you can't read or reply to every topic, I certainly know that you don't reply to mines, but that's ok - Tome 3 challenges are up, I see they are exactly the same as the placeholders ones, so I still feel the need to point out that something needs to be addressed.
Following is an extract from this topic, which talked about Master Challenge (with no replies whatsoever though :( ).
Try to avoid prominently luck based challenges
For example, to trap any survivor 4 times as Trapper can be difficult but it's fair - out of 4 survivors one or two may be less aware of dangers. To trap 4 different survivors in a trap instead is more luck based, because you not only need to place good traps, but you also have to hope that all survivors are careless.
Do not make things too reliant on what others will do
I like to think DbD is a solo game played with strangers, not a swf team game. Because of this, you can't create challenges that need the whole team to cooperate with you. To cleanse three totems in a game may be difficult, but with the proper items / perks is doable. To cleanse five totems in a game is impossible without a swf team.
This would be not only frustrating, but also incentivise early DCs for solo players.
Avoid challenges that can become impossible before the late game
If a challenge is to fully repair 4 generators, once two generators are done you could be already too late to complete the challenge, and start playing carelessly to try it again.
If a challenge instead is to fully repair 2 generators, and any % of the last generator one can't really know until end game if I can still do it.
---
In Tome 3 the really problematic challenge is the Spine Chill one - once you are hooked once, you already know you can't beat the challenge, therefore there's an high chance you'll want to DC on hook.
There are others which are a bit reliant on what others will do and luck based, especially the unhook/sacrifice 2 surv in EGC collapse, but since those are basically one the opposite of the other I think it will be a bit more achievable than normal.
In any case, please, please, at least acknowledge those considerations, don't let Tome 4 remain unchanged.
Comments
I hope the devs read this because I really don't want to do half of these challenges to be honest. They don't promote me to do better as killer or survivor, it just promotes me to feel burnt out faster.
These types of challenges are not fun. In fact, they are focing farming, huge luck to just get ONE challenge done.
I am not asking for challenges that are rly not challenges and you complete them in every single game first try, no problem. But this is like next level of extreme. It also forcing some "toxic" and "tryhards" games that everyone loves, right?
I feel like you guys rly don't know your own game, designing these insane challenges that are "be lucky as hell" or "farm with killer!". Nice.
I forgot in the thread I linked I even addressed a possible solution for the EGC challenge:
Last Minute Hero - Unhook safely 3 survivors after the EGC begins
There is a challenge where you need to unhook someone that already saved you from the hook, I completed it but that's relying that the other survivor is going to be chased, downed and not saved by flashlights. Wich is really hard unless you're on a SWF.
They are challenges for a reason. They are not meant to be easy or purely skill based.
The issue is not the challenges but how people go about them. Some people have no patience and want to rush through it as fast as possible. Yes people DC when they know they can't get the challenge, or play toxic and destroy the match for others... and it sucks... but people just be that way.
I found Tome 1 and 2 fun and I didn't have to go out of my way to complete them. I am sure its like this for a lot of people, they just don't voice it here.
Heck I never play Trapper and got his challenges done over a weekend ^^
I enjoyed tome 1 and 2 as well, but this doesn’t detract from the fact that there’s obviously a pattern in how some challenges are created.
We were told those were just placeholders, but right now devs don’t seem to have changed anything for tome 3, and it already has very questionable challenges.
I’m glad they want to explore different things and let players tryout various perks, but just watch how the EGC unhook challenge would be more fair with my proposed changes.