Mori Rework concept

EDIT NOTE: I revisited the concept after one year and took some changes to my original idea. Keep in mind that I think different now about some of this and only keep the original post for the sake of it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So I was thinking how to rework Moris. Currently they are quite frustrating to use or face in some degree. Of course Mori animations are great. Most love them, I think. But from a blancing experience they are one of these questionably things in the game and don't fit the current game philosophy. And besides that the Cypress Mori is just a bloodpoint waste currently....

So the idea is to rework them to make them more interesting and probably much more game changing like the currently are. And I wouldn't stop with that.

First Secret Offerings need to be completely Secret. We don't have enough variety of them to show the other side that there is a Secret Offering in the game. I basicly know it, when it's probably a Mori in the game, because of the Offering screen. And doing we would have time to introduce to us new secret Offerings: e.g. one which adds an additional dull totem on the map. e.g.

Besides that I think that Cypress Memento should be Basekit. In most cases, when the last survivor is downed than the game is over. Yes, there are rare cases like DS ready at the gate etc. But I think it's much more enjoyable, if the killer is always allowed to mori their Last survivor. It shortens games faster and rewards the Killer. It could be even be used for dailies.

So what to do with the offerings themselfs? I would go a little bit more bold with them and wonder, why we shouldn't use offerings to make more game changing experience.

My suggestion for the Ebony Memento Mori (Ultra Rare):

Make if a Token Based Offering. Survivor can't be sacrificed on hooks anymore as long as there are other uncaptured survivors left. Each time a surviror gets hooked or when they would change to a different hook phase the Mori gets one Token.

  • 4 Tokens allow the Killer to kill their first survivor with their own hand
  • 6 Tokens allow the Killer to kill their first survivor with their own hand
  • 8 Tokens allow the Killer to kill All Survivors with their own hand

I'm not sure with the numbers. But you get the idea. Make the game different and the killer kill process linear instead of a single process per survivor. I'm just not sure, if survivors should be informed during the trial, if the Offering is active or not. But I think it would be an interesting change. And maybe making the rounds even quite easier for killers, who prefer a playstyle which leads them to focus on the entire survivor team and quite a late death on the 9th hook.

My suggestion for the Ivory Memento Mori (Very Rare instead of Rare):

This one I would make Token based as well. But keep things mostly as they are. Just give the opportunity to remove a survivor quicker from the match.

  • 5 Tokens allow the Killer to kill one survivor with their own hands

This would be basicly a safer version of Devour Hope. But to be fair. It's an offering, which you definitvely use. So I think it would be fair in some capacity.

And Last the Cypress Memento Mori (Rare instead of Uncommon):

Allows you to kill survivors, which you have hooked twice in trial with your own hands. Killing survivor with your own hand will cause to Hook related effects to activate. This one woul probably work as an optional time saver. If you don't need to hook for yourself, you can mori them. And if you do so you can still use PGTW, BBQ and Co.

Otherwise I'm not sure if the offering would be worth it, if it would take the opportunity to use specific perks from you. That's why I think it would be necessary for the Cypress to activate them as well. But only for it, because I think that all the other direct Kill options in the game are strong enough without that effect.


Of course these are just ideas. And I'm not 100% sure of them. And I don't want to see Moris gutted. Actually I want to see them played more with these changes. So I think we have to turn them to something quite more interesting than what they are now.

Comments

  • Can't believe this was a year ago. But recent changes made me revisit this old thread of mine. Interesting though that my Opinion has slightly changed since then. Even though I still like the idea as it used to be.

    First of all about my Ebony Memento Mori Idea:

    First. Numbers are too low. I think it should be something like (Keep in mind that Killing with their own hands doesn't give Tokens):

    • 5/6 Tokens allow the Killer to kill their first survivor with their own hand
    • 7/8 Tokens allow the Killer to kill their second survivor with their own hand (Note: maybe make it less complicated and let the killer kill the rest after reaching a certain Point)
    • 8 Tokens allow the Killer to kill All Survivors with their own hand.

    Currently in DbD the killer progress per Survivor. Each one can be hooked twice and killed after the third hook. That none linear progress killer have during a trial leads to quite inconsistent games (and some issues). Your first survivor might die either after your third hook, if your hard tunnel e.g. or after the eghth or ninth, when a killer tries to play as "fair" as possible. And we all know as early a survivor dies as less efficient they become at doing gens and progress through the game. So this the timing when the first survivor dies is quite cruical.

    Original Moris were messing with that original design, by shortening the progress the Killer makes significantly and were therefore unbalanced.

    The idea to make the progression linear and Token based would Shift the Ebony Mori in a way to make it game changing, in some way exciting, but not overpowered.

    The Killer benefits from the linear progression by having more control and time planning when the first survivors dies. That lead's to slightly less stress and calmer games. But on the other hand it would be terrible inefficent on a camper, because it takes quite longer to camp their first victim to death (6 Tokens). And a killer who tunnels would probably also be more efficient without this offering, because even if they only play normal until reaching the amount of totems and only tunnel then, they would lose much more time than normally even accounting BT & DS, but also barely benefit from it, because they would get their kill anyway, because it doesn't matter which survivor they down, when reaching the right amount of totems.

    Ivory Memento Mori Idea:

    This one, I'm not sure. We kinda had good arguments, how it might still incentive Tunneling, if it would only raise the conditions. On the other hand it would mix linear progression approach with the non linear one and that just doesn't work. I can't stand to my original post with this one and kind agree the simple change they did to current moris isn't completely bade, if it wouldn't cost that much bloodpoints.

    So I think it should do, what currently the balanced Ebony Mori does now. That way it kinda gives the benefit to circumvent DS, etc without beeing to expensive. But keep it green, because it's just not worth as much as a Map offering that has similar effect on the game, if chosen.

    Cypress Memento Mori:

    The Unloved one. In it's current form it's a bloodpoint waster and needs to be adressed in some way. The simple thing to do would be to either remove it entirely or give it, what the balanced Ivory does now. But I think that would be kinda boring. Actually one offering with this quite unexciting effect would be enought. We don't need a weaker version of it. I honestly still like the fact, that Cypress might stay an Endgame bet offering. So it works like a stronger form of Rancor, that allows you to kill one survivor, when all gens are powered up or allows to kill all survivors after EGC started. That wouldn't be to strong I think. A bet and an easy way to get "killer with your own hands"

    Also Base Kit Mori:

    A nice reward would be to make Mori-Animations part of the base kit somehow in a fair way. I personally think the best way would be to reward a killer in general, if they managed to kill three survivor with beeing allowed to kill the fourth with their own hands. But only if they killed the other three. Stuff like catching one after the rest escaped shouldn't count, to still keep it nice and rewarding. But that's more of a nice suggestion.