Let's Make One Thing Clear...

... SELF CARE IS NOT A GOOD PERK


Don't even try to tell me it is. At brown ranks (15-20) maybe. But if you are green, purple, or god forbid red, and I see you running self care at anything lower than 10 I immediately know you are the most boosted animal to walk the planet.

"But it allows me to have full health to go in for a save" "But it allows for a safer escape when fully healed" "But being injured makes noise"

None of those are good reasons to waste time healing with self care. If you are that concerned with being injured. Bring a medkit. Or bring inner strength.

Self care heals take 24 seconds. 50% speed on a 16 second action makes it take 24 seconds. A brown medkit does it in 16. One heal. But you can bring addons for that, or a different medkit.

If you arent playing claudette and running self care that means you either

A) have claudette leveled high enough to get self care, or

B) got it in the shrine

Do option A with Nancy (if you have the dlc) or just get it in the shrine. Inner strength is an 8 second heal at tier 3. Half of a base heal.

Self care is a bad perk because it wastes way too much of a survivors time in a match with them using it to heal over the gens. Gens take 60 seconds. Self care time is almost the same as getting half a gen done. As a killer, I love people who run self care. Because I know they are too concerned with healing themselves they will waste time over doing gens and I can keep more pressure on the map after just smacking them once and getting 24 seconds of no gen activity from that person.

Self care is NOT a good perk. In fact I would say it is the worst perk due to the number of people who use it and spread the belief that it is a god-tier survivor perk. Causing more people to run it and waste gen time by sitting in corners healing because they are scared of taking a hit and actually learning to run the killer around for more than 5 seconds before getting downed.

The one time self care is good. Is in a build with Botany Knowledge, Streetwise, Self Care, and We'll Make It, while running a ranger medkit. It gets used for item efficiency at that point and keeps that ranger medkit in your inventory longer.


Overall point of this. Stop thinking self care is good and that sitting in a corner slowly healing yourself is a good idea for you or your team. It isn't. Just do gens, and bring a medkit if you are afraid of running a killer or taking a hit.

Tagged: Trusted

Comments

  • You're entitled to your own opinion, but it's not always as simple as bringing in a Med-Kit. Especially when perks like Franklin's Demise exist. I don't run Self-Care on all of my builds, as I normally switch it out for Bond or Adrenaline, but there have been plenty of times where I wished I had it. Like when 2 people are dead and somebody is on a hook, and you're injured and can't get the save as the killer is proxy camping. It's definitely not a useless perk. Especially paired up with Botany Knowledge.

  • Yeah, tbh, a friend recommended that I lvl Claudette up first.

    No, I did NOT enjoy the results of Self care.

    Seriously, a lot of guides (I watched alot of them as a newbie), had told me to go for Self Care.

    Yeah, It wasn't until a few months later when I had learned Self Care is actually absolutely shite, and doing more harm than good.

    To be honest, I play a more selfish side, usually doing things that only benefited me instead of others usually. Trust me, it was effective, and I survived loads of games because of this mindset.

    Getting back on track: I wish I had never gotten Self Care. WGLF was definitely the better choice, and me not going for it was a bad idea. In fact, I've essentially wasted a full month of grinding for a perk that's #########.

  • @I_Be_Pro_Fun said:

    @Atrushan88 @Snow_Lep

    Hmm, ok. I getcha both, and I see where you are coming from.

    The way you phrased it made it sound like self care and anyone who runs it is bad though, I was hust trying to say there are scenarios and people who use it responsably and effectively.

    Like when you said gens, and people self caring right infront of you or whatnot, I know lots who do that to be fair. But generally, if you don't get off gen after a few seconds, I'll go to working on the generator as well.

    I understand Inner Strength is a quicker replacement to Self Care, but not everyone who runs self care is a Bad player, and not in every scenario is it a bad choice. I will admit, I usually run self care and medkit, because they kind of stack (and if my medkit runs out, I can always heal up regularly).

    All I was saying is, there is a scenario where every perk in the game, no matter how bad you think it is, is useful. Except MoM, but that's just because Distraction hit scoring events are bugged, and MoM doesn't register them. (I honestly think it should register Distraction, and Protection)

    Anyways, thank you both for having an honest, actually well thought out discussion with me. That honestly doesn't happen often, here or on other forums.

    I try to always have decent discussions as they are very rare and hard to come by anymore. There is a time and place for Self Care, and there is a time and place for Inner Strength as well. It is just a matter of people needing to learn how to use the perk in a more proper way and get better with it. What I said does stand true, in that most people don't know the proper use and how to run it effectively. If you are self-caring with 4 gens left and one guy dead while it is a killer like the spirit or the nurse where bleeding out of your bass will get you killed in no time. Then is a time to heal and try to get a gen done stealthily. And at that point, speed doesn't particularly matter as long as you don't get caught.

    But the people who self care while I am running them for 80, 90, 100, 110, 120, 130 seconds while we are sitting with 1 gen left to complete and I am begging for my life for them to do the gen so I can get my adrenaline pop and get the heck away from this crazy psycho chasing me, are what annoys me. If there is 1 gen left, do that gen first and then self care or heal teammates. Other people might be running adrenaline too and that would take care of one, two, maybe all three other teammates in terms of needing a heal.

  • @I_Be_Pro_Fun said:

    @Atrushan88 @Snow_Lep

    Hmm, ok. I getcha both, and I see where you are coming from.

    The way you phrased it made it sound like self care and anyone who runs it is bad though, I was hust trying to say there are scenarios and people who use it responsably and effectively.

    Like when you said gens, and people self caring right infront of you or whatnot, I know lots who do that to be fair. But generally, if you don't get off gen after a few seconds, I'll go to working on the generator as well.

    I understand Inner Strength is a quicker replacement to Self Care, but not everyone who runs self care is a Bad player, and not in every scenario is it a bad choice. I will admit, I usually run self care and medkit, because they kind of stack (and if my medkit runs out, I can always heal up regularly).

    All I was saying is, there is a scenario where every perk in the game, no matter how bad you think it is, is useful. Except MoM, but that's just because Distraction hit scoring events are bugged, and MoM doesn't register them. (I honestly think it should register Distraction, and Protection)

    Anyways, thank you both for having an honest, actually well thought out discussion with me. That honestly doesn't happen often, here or on other forums.

    It might be decent if Sloppy Butcher wasn't such a common perk, but as is, I feel like Inner Strength trumps it in nearly every way. The uses of Self Care are so few and far between imo that it shouldn't be used, in a game where you need consistent use of a perk in order for it to be considered good.

    I might also add that Inner Strength ignores Sloppy Butcher, which is another way it trumps the perk.

  • @Atrushan88 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/831617#Comment_831617

    It might be decent if Sloppy Butcher wasn't such a common perk, but as is, I feel like Inner Strength trumps it in nearly every way. The uses of Self Care are so few and far between imo that it shouldn't be used, in a game where you need consistent use of a perk in order for it to be considered good.

    I might also add that Inner Strength ignores Sloppy Butcher, which is another way it trumps the perk.

    Which is very true. Sloppy is almost meta considering the healing nerf making the perk even MORE powerful. To have a healing perk that ignores it is a rather nice thing

  • I love how the start of the thread is in all caps as if it is 100% fact, but then goes on to note that there is a debate on this whole topic.

    I don't even know why people care so much, I'm still usin' the perk. In fact, I' gonna ENJOY using it just to defy ya.

1 2 3 ›