Have to be "online" in steam?

So I like to remain invisible on steam, discord, etc (yes, I'm that guy. leave me alone). This is even how I play DBD and it's never been a problem before but, for whatever reason, when I tried to hop on today I was informed that I wasn't allowed to play while invisible.

I was wondering if anyone knew why this silly rule was implemented?

Comments

  • image.png

    To clarify, this is what I'm talking about. Obviously I can't play without an internet connection but being "offline" has never been a problem before.

  • Found a solution. Just load up the game while "online" and then switch to "invisible" or "offline" after the fact.

    Honestly the fact that this happened makes me feel like a dev got ghosted and decided that know one should ever be allowed to be "invisible"

  • It's not really a rule - I play in invisible all the time. It's just not very well worded. That error comes up when, for whatever reason, the game and steam aren't communicating properly, and there are a variety of things that can cause it. Glad you found such a simple solution!

  • @Fibijean said:

    It's not really a rule - I play in invisible all the time. It's just not very well worded. That error comes up when, for whatever reason, the game and steam aren't communicating properly, and there are a variety of things that can cause it. Glad you found such a simple solution!

    Okay, I'm glad this is a known error. I thought this was an actual recent change and was pretty annoyed by what appeared to be them trying to circumvent a privacy feature on steam

  • I am habitually marked Invisible unless I am playing with friends, and I am not experiencing this problem, and never have.