Why are players without obsession perks becoming obsessions?

I've been noticing this a lot lately as both survivor and killer. There will be times where I'm the obsession as survivor but don't have an obsession perk, and neither does the killer. But my teammates will have DS and aren't the obsession. Same happens as killer. A survivor will become the obsession, so naturally I think they have DS or something since I'm not running an obsession perk. But at the end of the game I see that they never had DS. Is this a bug or something? Or did the devs do this intentionally?

Comments

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    It assigns the obsession at random, so the killer can't guess which one is running DS. After DS is used, that person becomes the obsession.

    To add to this, survivor's obsession perks increase the chance of that survivor becoming the obsession but does not guarantee they will be. Especially if another survivor is using one.