Wrong action

Frequently I will hit a button to perform action and instead something else happens.

Example: I can be standing by a generator and the text on the screen clearly says if I hit R1 I will be working on the generator. However, when I hit R1 I instead of working on the generator I jump the pallet behind me or hide. Most recently I walked up on a hatch. The text on the screen clearly said "R1 Escape" I hit R1 and instead jumped over a pallet behind me right into the killer.

Is this platform specific? I am playing on PS4. Does the game present the option onscreen for the direction you are facing, but will have you perform another action if you are a pixel or two closer to something else?

This may seem minor, but it is honestly one of the most frustrating things about playing this game to me. I may take issue sometimes with the way certain things go, but when I am playing any game and the words on the screen tell me if I hit a certain button a specific action will take place that is what I expect. Anything else is unacceptable.

Comments

  • I have had this happen to me before. Maybe send a bug report to the devs?

  • It's an issue with priority. I don't think DBD has set priority over actions, so the code puts some actions as more important than others, even if we don't want them to be. For example, you are injured and have self care. You decide to heal by a pallet. Pressing r1 will start the heal, but it also drops the pallet. The game has to decide what's more important. Dropping the pallet, or healing. We as humans are able to define what's more important by reading the situation, but computers don't have intuition, so they have to have one action that's always more important. Usually, that's interacting with pallets.

  • @newavitar said:

    It's an issue with priority. I don't think DBD has set priority over actions, so the code puts some actions as more important than others, even if we don't want them to be. For example, you are injured and have self care. You decide to heal by a pallet. Pressing r1 will start the heal, but it also drops the pallet. The game has to decide what's more important. Dropping the pallet, or healing. We as humans are able to define what's more important by reading the situation, but computers don't have intuition, so they have to have one action that's always more important. Usually, that's interacting with pallets.

    That makes sense. I guess my thought is that it seems like it would be possible to set the priority to whatever is actually on the screen. If the screen says you will heal if you hit r1 then you heal. If it says you will do a gen then you do a gen. Anything else is confusing. I don't need or want the game to determine what I "actually" want to do regardless of what it is telling me will happen when I hit R1.