Why does it take so long for the devs to fix exploits?
I would imagine a quick hotfix could handle the issue as soon as it's found, yet they take weeks to do anything about it. I can't image the punishment is very harsh, or even if there is one, seeing as it's usage is still rampant.
Comments
I believe it's because people were complaining about the amount of updates because of hotfixes so they are in a catch-22 with bugs you do hotfixes for all bugs people complain, if you don't people complain. I could be wrong though.
I wonder if they can even find the solution to the bugs tbh. I don't know how much testing they do, etc to find said bugs. I would imagine though that it takes a long time for them to find bugs though because of how long bugs last in the game. A hotfix is barely even considered a patch(doesn't usually take long at all), so I don't see this being something that would be a problem for their updates, but I really wish things that were problematic would get disabled before being fixed if it's gonna take so long to fix problematic things. Infinite Mending Legion for example and this Sprint Burst exploit could easily be fixed by disabling Sprint Burst/those addons.
Its because they tend to stick to their 6-8 weeks per update.
They have them fixed in house but hold the fixes until the next scheduled patch.
Sometimes they hotfix a week or two after a major patch but if a bug is discovered on the third week we are waiting until the sixth or eighth.
Programming is difficult. They have to make sure they don't ######### up anything else before they update the game.
So, they're lazy. Exploit is on the scene for weeks, and they wait for the usual two month update to do something about it?
I don't deny that it is. My issue is that it's been weeks that this has been going on, and it's been allowed to continue. Just flip off the perk if they can't get around to fixing it.
Yes, programming is hard, but mind you these are people who have likely been programming for years now. They should really know what they're doing when it comes to this stuff.
We have not been bug free for weeks now, and it seems when they fix one another pops up. (Legion's voice bug for example, which, admittedly not priority, is still in the game with the Sprint bug)
The coders are just doing their jobs, yes, but whoever is telling them to keep this game held together by a spaghetti code needs to really reevaluate their decisions.
They likely have it fixed already, but are waiting for a hotfix date or something. IMO they should have disabled the perk as soon as the exploit got traction, but I can only dream.
I asked a similar question a while ago. Short answer is that they already have the internal build and if they hotfix something they already have fixed in the internal build, they will need to remake the entire internal build.
Long answer, see Peanits’ first comment in this thread of mine.
https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/61608/why-do-bhvr-prefer-to-fix-things-in-mid-chapters-rather-than-hotfixes