Looking back on past issues
This is the video I will be using for reference just for anyone who hasn't watched it.
First thing, I want to say I am overall happy in what the devs have done with the game over the past year. Its hard to think that all of those issues in the game were just a little over a year ago. Main points I want to hit on are I am glad that they never added back in the flashlight/pallet stun at any time mechanic, that definitely ruined the game and this is the one thing I am glad the devs lied about putting it back in when other things with pallets were fixed. Next thing would be the pallet vacuum, good riddance to that BS mechanic. Then Decisive Strike, I believe still needs some work, it is 100% not as infuriating/game ruining as it used to be but there are situations where I can screw you up even if you are not doing things that should activate it like tunneling. Ive seen many killers hook 1 or even 2 other people before grabbing someone and getting decisive striked even though they clearly were not tunneling. Slight reduction on the timer, idk but it definitely isn't something high on their priority list. Lastly Freddy, finally getting the buff he deserves almost 2 years after being released. So, looking back on all of these issues helped me realize something about this Team as a whole. The developers are dedicated people that really do love what they make, however the people who tell them what to make and when are definitely a little misguided. Definitely need to learn how to prioritize issues in the game over tiny things and also prioritize both sides fun and basic mechanics.
Issues that still remain in the game over 1 year later are sound issues, every patch we get new ones and it takes till the next patch for them to get fixed, but replaced with more sound issues. Both sides killer and survivor having them. Heart beat being too loud over the chase music, chase music being too loud over survivor sounds, I really think there should be more sound control given to the player. Another issue is map design which is being worked on but definitely not going to be fast enough with how many maps are in the game. Some maps have too many pallets and too many safe loops, others the exact opposite. Each map is different and has its own issues that I could spend way too much time on, but at least with this year they will be slowly working to improve them.
However, the main issue would be the core gameplay loop. Its been 3 years going on a 4th year and nothing has changed. 4 survivors 5 generators each taking 80 seconds to complete with 1 person on them. Games have the possibility of ending with in 3 minutes if the survivors focus enough on the generators, and since it is the only thing they need to do, it isn't that hard with out something stopping them. And I have at this point lost all hope in this issue ever being fixed and just simply accept the fact that if a below high tier killer either doesn't have ruin or ruin is destroyed within the first 30 seconds of the game, your fate is pretty much sealed and you are not winning, let alone getting 4 kills. It still does depend on the skill of survivors and that is really the one key issue in the video I posted at the top that has lingered for 3 years and running. Killers don't control the game, survivors do. The survivors have the power to win or lose and the killer is the one that gets to capitalize on mistakes that survivors do, and if they make a mistake, its pretty much game over. All of the power is in the survivors hands and aside from the 3 highest tier killers (which I will be ignoring since they are the exception). So out of 16 killers, 13 of them are not the power role in a game. But like I said above, they will never fix this issue. If all 16 killers ever became the power role the survivors would either go to play killer or complain until it was changed back. Survivors couldn't play casually if that happened, each survivor game would suddenly be as stressful or more than current killer games and because statistically there are more people who play survivor than killer that would hurt the player base the most. But the 1 real reason they won't fix it, is because thousands of players, tens of thousands of players still play the game and enjoy it, so if it isn't broken, don't fix it. They basically don't see the issue or see it as a big issue and I don't blame them. But there is only so much time a person can play the exact same game, with the exact same goal, year after year, after year.
Anyway, hopefully that new archive thing will bring the freshness back to the game that it really does need if it wants to grow instead of just stabilize.
Comments