What's the difference between Frame Rate Issues & Lag?

I've been noticing alot of problems with the game lately, and I'm unsure if it's just lag or frame rate issues on my end.

I got a NVIDIA GTX 780 Ti and it runs games like Overwatch, Smite, Fornite on a consistent 60 FPS.


Dead by Daylight, even on low settings, has its days but its been becoming more obvious with these problems. Mind you, I refuse to stay in any lobby that has a ping above 105. If it is 110ms, I will leave.

So green ping is what I settle with, but even then it's hard to find a lobby with that (Killer mains who just don't give a crap about 200 ping)


Anyway, back to my point, here are some of the problems I'll face:

Lagging back and forth and not fully registering my position.

Laggy window hits - aka hits where I was not close to the window

Teammates (I use bond) will be teleporting, but sometimes my screen will slow down itself.

Killer will swing and miss, but it still connects OR Killers swing and hit but it doesn't register the hit.


I want to make it clear: Usually when I lose my framerate, these problems can occur, but I can't tell the difference between bad Killer connection or a lost of frame rate. What's a good way to distinguish the two if the ping in the lobby is usually green when the match starts?


There's no option unlike in games like Overwatch, that show your FPS on a scale in the corner in the HUD, and both lag and FPS lost are much alike.

Comments

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    You should check the configuration files and try turning some things off.

    Doing things like limiting the frame rate cap to 60 (or whatever your computer can run that's a solid even frame rate) and turning off v-sync help a lot in the FPS department.

    Where do I access the configuration files, capping the frame rate, and turning off v-sync? In NVIDIA?

  • I've been noticing alot of problems with the game lately, and I'm unsure if it's just lag or frame rate issues on my end.

    Lag is a problem that occurs when inputs are delayed due to latency. Frame rate drops are due to bottlenecks or complete lack of processing power.

    They have different effects on the gaming experience as well, but ultimately you game performs terribly.

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    You should check the configuration files and try turning some things off.

    Doing things like limiting the frame rate cap to 60 (or whatever your computer can run that's a solid even frame rate) and turning off v-sync help a lot in the FPS department.

    I've turned off V-Sync,

    @ReikoMori said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/65384/whats-the-difference-between-frame-rate-issues-lag

    Lag is a problem that occurs when inputs are delayed due to latency. Frame rate drops are due to bottlenecks or complete lack of processing power.

    They have different effects on the gaming experience as well, but ultimately you game performs terribly.

    Good to know the technical differences. I'm not the smartest tech-wise.


    I'm wondering if it's a little bit of both, lol

  • I have the same issue. While the game runs terrible, and my connection is not always the best, I am often not sure if some bullshit encountered ingame is lag or fps-drop. For this I always have task manager, and the windows console open. Task manager to see if my CPU/GPU spikes, and the windows console to see if its a connection issue on my side. It sucks that Dbd blocks MSI Afterburner from watching those details in the overlay, even though its whitelisted by EAC ...

    By the way you can let Steam display the FPS for you. Its in the settings "in-game". Though those are not always accurate.

  • This doesn't sound like it has any relation to framerate, or even standard latency issues; it sounds like you have an unstable connection. I can do fine playing on as high as 220 ms.

    Whether you haven't optimized your network for frequent, but smaller packets (such as using Leatrix's Latency Fixer to disable Nagle's Algorithm), or not, I couldn't say.

    When referring to "lag" (a catchall term on its own), latency specifically refers to 'delay' in relation to your inputs. Say, you run towards a window and try to vault it, but it takes an extra half-second to actually perform the action after your input, that would be latency lag.

    Frame lag would be your game getting choppy, or slowing down because you're unable to render all of the frames as animations and detail are being portrayed on your screen. EG: Your computer isn't strong enough to push 60 FPS, so it's doing its best on your current settings and only pushing 45 FPS.