Survivor Obsession Perks Redone

So with the new D-Strike changes we'll see the Obsession status switch between Survivors and the general tone from the Devs is one of ''uh oh now you're the Obsession''. But none of the Survivor perks have downsides so it's not scary or a risk for Survivors. So how about the old Obsession perks get some downsides and any new Survivor Obsession perks get downsides as well, purely to reinforce the tone that the Devs have created with the D-Strike change which is a good tone to have tbh. They also mentioned they recognize that the old DS had nor risk but didn't add any so there's that as well.

Any thoughts? Any ideas on what disadvantages there could be in general that's ultimately fair?

Comments

  • The only problem I see is with the killer perks, this would mean someone being disadvantaged because its RNG who becomes it and the killer gains something for running the perk in the first place.

    Now if the survivor runs an obsession perk I could understand that but only DS is strong in reality, sole survivor, OoO on most players mean nothing, it takes a good player to run OoO and you know they are gonna troll you.

    I like the concept of the idea but I dont think it would work out very well as you are punishing someone for running something meant to aid them or because they simply joined a match with someone playing killer.

  • Rancor will be ascended now. I don't think people need to worry about multiple kills with it, the chances of that happening are slim for 2 people, and probably 1 in a billion for 3 people.

    Every game with it will be..

    D-STRIKE ME, I DARE YA, I DOUBLE DARE YA!

  • @twistedmonkey said:
    The only problem I see is with the killer perks, this would mean someone being disadvantaged because its RNG who becomes it and the killer gains something for running the perk in the first place.

    Now if the survivor runs an obsession perk I could understand that but only DS is strong in reality, sole survivor, OoO on most players mean nothing, it takes a good player to run OoO and you know they are gonna troll you.

    I like the concept of the idea but I dont think it would work out very well as you are punishing someone for running something meant to aid them or because they simply joined a match with someone playing killer.

    I was thinking this as well that's why I was hoping someone could come up with a general idea. Like maybe the Obsession has a ''location similar to Doctor's location thing every30 seconds, not an Aura so it's not too Killer favoring.

  • @HatCreature said:

    @twistedmonkey said:
    The only problem I see is with the killer perks, this would mean someone being disadvantaged because its RNG who becomes it and the killer gains something for running the perk in the first place.

    Now if the survivor runs an obsession perk I could understand that but only DS is strong in reality, sole survivor, OoO on most players mean nothing, it takes a good player to run OoO and you know they are gonna troll you.

    I like the concept of the idea but I dont think it would work out very well as you are punishing someone for running something meant to aid them or because they simply joined a match with someone playing killer.

    I was thinking this as well that's why I was hoping someone could come up with a general idea. Like maybe the Obsession has a ''location similar to Doctor's location thing every30 seconds, not an Aura so it's not too Killer favoring.

    That still punishes some random player just for joining the match, the killer gets the current location of them every 30s without any counter too it, mechanics like this dont go down well as it removes an element of choice,

    Take the current Dying light, not a highly used perk but one that is not fun as it means a survivor may be camped and tunneled out the game for the killer to get its use.

    Making an obsession mechanic would need to be something that not only gives a downside to the survivor but also an upside, maybe that upside could be removed if a survivor chose to run an obsession perk but each Obsession perk would then need to be worth running.

  • @twistedmonkey said:

    @HatCreature said:

    @twistedmonkey said:
    The only problem I see is with the killer perks, this would mean someone being disadvantaged because its RNG who becomes it and the killer gains something for running the perk in the first place.

    Now if the survivor runs an obsession perk I could understand that but only DS is strong in reality, sole survivor, OoO on most players mean nothing, it takes a good player to run OoO and you know they are gonna troll you.

    I like the concept of the idea but I dont think it would work out very well as you are punishing someone for running something meant to aid them or because they simply joined a match with someone playing killer.

    I was thinking this as well that's why I was hoping someone could come up with a general idea. Like maybe the Obsession has a ''location similar to Doctor's location thing every30 seconds, not an Aura so it's not too Killer favoring.

    That still punishes some random player just for joining the match, the killer gets the current location of them every 30s without any counter too it, mechanics like this dont go down well as it removes an element of choice,

    Take the current Dying light, not a highly used perk but one that is not fun as it means a survivor may be camped and tunneled out the game for the killer to get its use.

    Making an obsession mechanic would need to be something that not only gives a downside to the survivor but also an upside, maybe that upside could be removed if a survivor chose to run an obsession perk but each Obsession perk would then need to be worth running.

    Well Dying Light has an upside, it increases their Altruism speed. Rancor lets them see the Aura of the Killer, giving each Killer Obsession perk a Survivor benefit would be a perfectly ok compromise if it meant that it allowed ALL Obsession perks to have a general downside.

    OR, just give D-Strike and all Survivor Obsession perks a General downside instead, Killer perks already a downside so just give Survivor Obsession perks a downside, it won't have to be General it could be a different downside for each one.

  • @twistedmonkey said:

    @HatCreature said:

    @twistedmonkey said:
    The only problem I see is with the killer perks, this would mean someone being disadvantaged because its RNG who becomes it and the killer gains something for running the perk in the first place.

    Now if the survivor runs an obsession perk I could understand that but only DS is strong in reality, sole survivor, OoO on most players mean nothing, it takes a good player to run OoO and you know they are gonna troll you.

    I like the concept of the idea but I dont think it would work out very well as you are punishing someone for running something meant to aid them or because they simply joined a match with someone playing killer.

    I was thinking this as well that's why I was hoping someone could come up with a general idea. Like maybe the Obsession has a ''location similar to Doctor's location thing every30 seconds, not an Aura so it's not too Killer favoring.

    That still punishes some random player just for joining the match, the killer gets the current location of them every 30s without any counter too it, mechanics like this dont go down well as it removes an element of choice,

    Take the current Dying light, not a highly used perk but one that is not fun as it means a survivor may be camped and tunneled out the game for the killer to get its use.

    Making an obsession mechanic would need to be something that not only gives a downside to the survivor but also an upside, maybe that upside could be removed if a survivor chose to run an obsession perk but each Obsession perk would then need to be worth running.

    Well Dying Light has an upside, it increases their Altruism speed. Rancor lets them see the Aura of the Killer, giving each Killer Obsession perk a Survivor benefit would be a perfectly ok compromise if it meant that it allowed ALL Obsession perks to have a general downside.

    OR, just give D-Strike and all Survivor Obsession perks a General downside instead, Killer perks already a downside so just give Survivor Obsession perks a downside, it won't have to be General it could be a different downside for each one.

    I think giving the survivor perks more of a downside would be a good way to go, OoO maybe let the killer see them for 2 seconds after they look away for example. 

    The killer ones generally have conditions afterall where the survivors ones don't so it does make sense.
  • The downside is being the Obsession. If the killer has a perk that would encourage them killer you off and tunneling you, you're the target. It will also have conditions that will have to be met with the update where it doesn't have any at this moment.

  • @twistedmonkey said:
    HatCreature said:

    @twistedmonkey said:

    @HatCreature said:

    @twistedmonkey said:

    The only problem I see is with the killer perks, this would mean someone being disadvantaged because its RNG who becomes it and the killer gains something for running the perk in the first place.

    Now if the survivor runs an obsession perk I could understand that but only DS is strong in reality, sole survivor, OoO on most players mean nothing, it takes a good player to run OoO and you know they are gonna troll you.

    I like the concept of the idea but I dont think it would work out very well as you are punishing someone for running something meant to aid them or because they simply joined a match with someone playing killer.

    I was thinking this as well that's why I was hoping someone could come up with a general idea. Like maybe the Obsession has a ''location similar to Doctor's location thing every30 seconds, not an Aura so it's not too Killer favoring.

    That still punishes some random player just for joining the match, the killer gets the current location of them every 30s without any counter too it, mechanics like this dont go down well as it removes an element of choice,
    
    Take the current Dying light, not a highly used perk but one that is not fun as it means a survivor may be camped and tunneled out the game for the killer to get its use.
    

    Making an obsession mechanic would need to be something that not only gives a downside to the survivor but also an upside, maybe that upside could be removed if a survivor chose to run an obsession perk but each Obsession perk would then need to be worth running.

    Well Dying Light has an upside, it increases their Altruism speed. Rancor lets them see the Aura of the Killer, giving each Killer Obsession perk a Survivor benefit would be a perfectly ok compromise if it meant that it allowed ALL Obsession perks to have a general downside.

    OR, just give D-Strike and all Survivor Obsession perks a General downside instead, Killer perks already a downside so just give Survivor Obsession perks a downside, it won't have to be General it could be a different downside for each one.

    I think giving the survivor perks more of a downside would be a good way to go, OoO maybe let the killer see them for 2 seconds after they look away for example. 

    The killer ones generally have conditions afterall where the survivors ones don't so it does make sense.

    Hopefully after the PTB or maybe if the next Survivor has Obsession perks we'll see some changes to the Survivor Obsession perks to give them downsides so it makes being the Obsession scary. They have great game changing abilities with no repercussions while Killer perks have loads of downsides. I really hope we get new Survivor Obsession perks so everyone won't just use D-Strike, it's boring.

  • No, the obsession mechanic is perfectly fine the way it is. The only change it needs is how new DS interacts with Dying Light. Some obsession perks are plenty powerful enough already, it doesn't need more power added now that DS isn't a broken tier perk.

  • Being the obsession usually means the killer avoids you or wants to maximize the number of hits they can give. Dying Light encouraged the tunnel, but this outcome is addressed with the new ds. While killing them quickly will activate the debuff, it can also be removed now with the switch. In some cases like rancor, having the obsession marker taken away will be a blessing for endgame. For the most part being the obsession is only a drawback when caught out early game and killer figures they best deal with it. 
  • @DemonDaddy said:
    Being the obsession usually means the killer avoids you or wants to maximize the number of hits they can give. Dying Light encouraged the tunnel, but this outcome is addressed with the new ds. While killing them quickly will activate the debuff, it can also be removed now with the switch. In some cases like rancor, having the obsession marker taken away will be a blessing for endgame. For the most part being the obsession is only a drawback when caught out early game and killer figures they best deal with it. 

    I have updated the Discussion to reflect a better idea.

  • @DexyIV @fluffybunny I've edited the discussion to reflect a better idea.

  • @HatCreature said:
    @DexyIV @fluffybunny I've edited the discussion to reflect a better idea.

    Well, I believe DS is supposed to be part of a kit. With Laurie, you have someone who'll see you who you will see when she looks at you. That's technically a downside. Her other two perks are balanced around that. DS is to discourage killers from tunneling you while you're weak and her other perk can help her hide her aura, even while looking at you. Both of these don't have downsides, but a condition will need to be met for all of her perks to work. If you DS and the killer has a perk that would encourage them to kill you off, they very well might. I think it's supposed to be a tango between the killer perks and the survivor ones.

  • @fluffybunny said:

    @HatCreature said:
    @DexyIV @fluffybunny I've edited the discussion to reflect a better idea.

    Well, I believe DS is supposed to be part of a kit. With Laurie, you have someone who'll see you who you will see when she looks at you. That's technically a downside. Her other two perks are balanced around that. DS is to discourage killers from tunneling you while you're weak and her other perk can help her hide her aura, even while looking at you. Both of these don't have downsides, but a condition will need to be met for all of her perks to work. If you DS and the killer has a perk that would encourage them to kill you off, they very well might. I think it's supposed to be a tango between the killer perks and the survivor ones.

    Well yeah it already is but I'm saying of the Devs want the Obsession switching between Survivors with DS then maybe there should be a risk/penalty that goes with it, otherwise it being an Obsession perk is meaningless. If the perk doesn't get a downside to it then maybe it shouldn't be an Obsession perk and just be a normal thing.

  • @HatCreature said:

    @fluffybunny said:

    @HatCreature said:
    @DexyIV @fluffybunny I've edited the discussion to reflect a better idea.

    Well, I believe DS is supposed to be part of a kit. With Laurie, you have someone who'll see you who you will see when she looks at you. That's technically a downside. Her other two perks are balanced around that. DS is to discourage killers from tunneling you while you're weak and her other perk can help her hide her aura, even while looking at you. Both of these don't have downsides, but a condition will need to be met for all of her perks to work. If you DS and the killer has a perk that would encourage them to kill you off, they very well might. I think it's supposed to be a tango between the killer perks and the survivor ones.

    Well yeah it already is but I'm saying of the Devs want the Obsession switching between Survivors with DS then maybe there should be a risk/penalty that goes with it, otherwise it being an Obsession perk is meaningless. If the perk doesn't get a downside to it then maybe it shouldn't be an Obsession perk and just be a normal thing.

    Could they make it a non-obsession perk, despite it being Laurie's? It'd be on par with something like BT or Unbreakable if that's the case, then, and you wouldn't get the mess of switching obsessions.

  • @AshleyWB said:
    @HatCreature What Red one?

    I don't know what you're referring to exactly

  • @fluffybunny said:

    @HatCreature said:

    @fluffybunny said:

    @HatCreature said:
    @DexyIV @fluffybunny I've edited the discussion to reflect a better idea.

    Well, I believe DS is supposed to be part of a kit. With Laurie, you have someone who'll see you who you will see when she looks at you. That's technically a downside. Her other two perks are balanced around that. DS is to discourage killers from tunneling you while you're weak and her other perk can help her hide her aura, even while looking at you. Both of these don't have downsides, but a condition will need to be met for all of her perks to work. If you DS and the killer has a perk that would encourage them to kill you off, they very well might. I think it's supposed to be a tango between the killer perks and the survivor ones.

    Well yeah it already is but I'm saying of the Devs want the Obsession switching between Survivors with DS then maybe there should be a risk/penalty that goes with it, otherwise it being an Obsession perk is meaningless. If the perk doesn't get a downside to it then maybe it shouldn't be an Obsession perk and just be a normal thing.

    Could they make it a non-obsession perk, despite it being Laurie's? It'd be on par with something like BT or Unbreakable if that's the case, then, and you wouldn't get the mess of switching obsessions.

    In the Q&A they have one of the designers say that the Obsession part of the perk isn't necessary anymore but they kept it in anyway and could be taken out if needed.

  • @HatCreature said:

    @fluffybunny said:

    @HatCreature said:

    @fluffybunny said:

    @HatCreature said:
    @DexyIV @fluffybunny I've edited the discussion to reflect a better idea.

    Well, I believe DS is supposed to be part of a kit. With Laurie, you have someone who'll see you who you will see when she looks at you. That's technically a downside. Her other two perks are balanced around that. DS is to discourage killers from tunneling you while you're weak and her other perk can help her hide her aura, even while looking at you. Both of these don't have downsides, but a condition will need to be met for all of her perks to work. If you DS and the killer has a perk that would encourage them to kill you off, they very well might. I think it's supposed to be a tango between the killer perks and the survivor ones.

    Well yeah it already is but I'm saying of the Devs want the Obsession switching between Survivors with DS then maybe there should be a risk/penalty that goes with it, otherwise it being an Obsession perk is meaningless. If the perk doesn't get a downside to it then maybe it shouldn't be an Obsession perk and just be a normal thing.

    Could they make it a non-obsession perk, despite it being Laurie's? It'd be on par with something like BT or Unbreakable if that's the case, then, and you wouldn't get the mess of switching obsessions.

    In the Q&A they have one of the designers say that the Obsession part of the perk isn't necessary anymore but they kept it in anyway and could be taken out if needed.

    I'm bad with keeping up with the Q&A. Thank you for letting me know! I think it'd be best if it was no longer considered an obsession perk so that it wouldn't mess with who's the obsession and so on. It could really screw it for certain perks if there was suddenly a new obsession (like dying light) and that way, it would be doing what they were intending (work as a anti-tunneling sort of perk).

  • @HatCreature said:
    @DexyIV @fluffybunny I've edited the discussion to reflect a better idea.

    Downsides for only survivors? I'd be okay with that, I guess. Kind of like a Dying Light type thing. Then again, it is kinda a downside to be endlessly tunneled due to Remember Me or Dying Light, or instakilled late game without being hooked due to Rancor, and adding another negative may make it pretty...meh. I don't really care though since I don't use any obsession perk. Would be really nice to have a perk that decreases your chances of being the obsession from the start of the game, as a matter of fact XD

  • @HatCreature it was a joke because I was like huh...redone in the title thinking what red one. It took me literally 2 or 3 minutes to realise my idiocy.