My Last Attempt to save the Luck Mechanic
As the title says, this is my final attempt to make the luck mechanic still usable and healthy from a gameplay standpoint at the same time.
Why?
My favorite survivor perk build was essentially a luck build. Up The Ante, Ace In The Hole, Slippery Meat, and Plunderer's Instinct since Feb. 2017. Say what you will, but I think the go-next epidemic is what is prompting the change to Slippery Meat and eventually, Up The Ante will be next.
Other info/thoughts
I had a feeling that Slippery Meat and/or Up The Ante would just be turned into another haste perk. I'm a little disappointed.
How do you save the luck mechanic?
Specifically, how do we save Up The Ante and Slippery Meat from being changed from their core design and how do we prevent the luck offerings from being retired? I've tried once already on trying to spice up the luck mechanic. You can read that here: https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/414401/luck-and-you-a-dead-by-daylight-guide-mechanic-update-concept
On to my final suggestions:
Self-Unhooking:
Players are familiar with the concept of self-unhooking. Perks such as Deliverance and Wicked can help accomplish those actions. What I think is the biggest turn off is players trying to "go next" long after the go-next epidemic has ended. There will always be those few who still try to do that. However, with the changes to the perks, I think luck can still be saved.
Slippery Meat:
One of the new mechanics with Slippery Meat will be the following:
"When you are hooked for the first time, you have a 6% chance of being granted the ability to Self-Unhook."
No more attempting to unhook yourself and propel the sacrifice process, no more intentionally trying to give up. Now, Slippery Meat retains its luck factor while still being a wildcard perk. The overall odds of unhooking yourself have gone down drastically, but it needs to be that way since there is now no penalty or risk of "attempting" to unhook yourself. The real risk is if you get value out of your perk slot. 6% of the time, you will if you use the perk correctly.
The other effects added onto Slippery Meat could also still work well with the one I proposed.
Up The Ante:
The new idea for Up The Ante is:
"Start the trial with 3 tokens. While you are in the First Hook Stage, press the Active Ability button to spend one token. Doing this grants you a 7% chance of being granted the ability to Self-Unhook.
While within 96 meters of a hooked Survivor in the First Hook Stage and facing in their direction, press the Active Ability button to spend one token and grant them a 7% chance of being granted the ability to Self-Unhook.
I picture the animation being something similar to the snapping that a survivor does to wake someone up. Anyway, this is likely the best idea I've got on saving Up The Ante. Yes, the overall odds are worse for unhooking yourself, but again, it has to be this way since you suffer no penalty for failed attempts.
Luck Offerings:
Here's the idea:
For Personal Offerings: "When you are hooked for the first time, you have a 1%/2%/3% chance of being granted the ability to Self-Unhook."
For Group Offerings that affect all survivors: "For all survivors, when you are hooked for the first time, you have a 1%/2%/3% chance of being granted the ability to Self-Unhook."
I don't think the numbers really have to change for the offerings since the classic three unhook attempt approach is gone now.
Argument: What about the go-next epidemic?
Overall, the changes I've suggested further reduce the likelihood of someone attempting to go-next in late 2026 and onward. The classic 4% chance of unhooking with three attempts is gone. Six attempts of unhooking with old Slippery Meat is gone. Three attempts with Up The Ante is gone, and so on.
Closing:
It's been fun using the luck build for as long as I have. Hopefully other luck build enthusiasts feel the same way. Regardless of what happens next, it's been a good run.
Thanks,
icemancat

Comments