The survivor experience is just getting worse and worse

I came back to this game after a year break maybe about 3-4 months ago. I have been an 80/20 survivor main from pretty much the first time I played 5 years ago, and back then I would mostly just play killer to get achievements. Over the course of these past few months, I have gone from being an 80/20 survivor player to being a 70/30 killer player, and it's not because killer is so much more fun than survivor. Even though I have found myself playing Springtrap and Ghostface, killers low enough in power (especially Ghostface) to experience frustration whenever I face a coordinated team of survivors and eat a bunch of Sprint Bursts, Dead Hards, eating a DS even when I have 8 hooks and no kills, gen rush builds, etc, that frustration I will take any day to survivor.

As killer, there are plenty of frustrating things to deal with as it's a "gogogo" role with no breaks and so it can be stressful, but the games are always at least interesting and there almost always feels like some way to snowball into a win or a tie, even in the roughest scenarios.

Recently, whenever I have decided "hey I haven't played survivor in a minute, I'll try a game or two" I immediately remember why I haven't been playing survivor and regret queuing into it. As soon as I queue survivor, I immediately just experience (ironically, usually from higher tier killers) tunneling from the getgo, staring at a hook or in Jason's case sitting in OE until someone goes to the hook, and the occasional slugfest. It's not just frustrating, it's also incredibly boring and tiring.

Survivor has already slowly been becoming a bit stale so I had been experimenting with weird niche builds, but I just can't do that anymore without being tunneled immediately for not running DS literally every game. And ironically, even when I do that, how much does DS help me against a Blight? Or a Nurse? It's pretty much just a slight inconvenience for them. Especially in solo queue, these playstyles are almost entirely out of my control and I feel even more helpless than when I play Ghostface against an experienced SWF.

The only reason why I still say I play 30% survivor is because it's still bearable when I have at least a duo. At least then there's someone to share in the misery with and rant to, and at least one person to properly coordinate with so maybe the tunnel can stay in the game even a bit longer. It also helps that for me, I am the most experienced survivor in my friend group so even when the killers in those lobbies try to tunnel or camp or whatever, they are usually worse than killers in my lobbies so if I can bait them to chase me or if I can manage to save my friends a few times we can usually scrape by.

I used to play so much solo queue but I just can't anymore. Plus, next patch the killer experience is just going to get better, as all the Sprint Bursts I eat as a non-mobility killer player are getting essentially double nerfed. I think for the most part they were healthy changes, even if I think it was a bit overdone, but it still feels like this game is just pushing me further and further to become a killer main even though I'm still a survivor main at heart. I just want to be able to play survivor without feeling like every other game is going to be miserable.

Comments

  • @Aven_Fallen said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/4111305#Comment_4111305

    I mean, overall it is good that abandoning is possible. Because otherwise you lie on the ground for 4 minutes. But this does not solve the issue that slugging is too strong, especially on the strong Killers. And as I said before, the Killer in my screenshot decided to not even down me for a bit. So the other two Survivors and myself could not even abandon, because the Killer was prolonging the game. (Only Renato got to abandon because he got slugged that often)

    When it comes to the 2v1, I still think that the Survivor on the ground should be able to abandon. Which would then trigger the remaining Survivor to be able to abandon. And at this point the Killer can still go for their 4K, they are just only wasting their own time. Because slugging for the 4K is really only prolonging a game the Killer already won. And for the standing Survivor it is also not really fun, because their best way to play the game in this situation is to be the Antimate.

    right, Abandon only appears under a few circumstances though, I think there's a significant portion of people who do not want to experience being slugged to a 4k all game with the loop of someone running around, picking one person up just for them to go down again, rinse and repeat…but its not abandonable until everyone is down usually. Iikewise everyone should have the option to abandon if someone else has already DC'd (With Penalty) if I load into a game and a survivor instantly DCs I am still stuck there… why? if the killer DCs the game stops… I think it should be an option to leave if people quit before it is reasonable to, because that disproportionately affects the other survivors who didn't do anything wrong but are stuck in a losing game with a bot that prioritizes its own health over winning the game.

  • Killers need to be gigabuffed. Once they destroy every lobby, we killer mains will be satisfied. Untill then the game is designed for bad baby survivors.

  • @Arcturus said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/4111105#Comment_4111105

    Tunneling somebody out from the beginning of the game and spreading gens are not at all the same. Yes, both are more "efficient" methods of playing the game. However, one completely eliminates a player early on in the match, cutting short their match, their rewards/bp, ruining their challenges, and ruining their experience. Spreading gens does not do that.

    In addition, spreading gens does not automatically mean you will be able to win 90% of your games on survivor. Tunneling from the beginning does, especially on stronger killers, which is why it's more common to see from them. I still manage to win the majority of my games, probably around 70% or so, on Ghost Face (one of my mains) without tunneling from the beginning and often while playing extremely nice. Even most of the games that aren't wins are usually ties (2ks). If I'm able to achieve those results playing like that with Ghost Face, a bottom 3 killer, imagine what I could do hard tunneling a survivor out from the beginning of every game as Blight or Nurse? Simply spreading gens is not enough to counter tunneling. You either need the killer to make the mistake of chasing the wrong survivor, an extremely experienced player (ideally with anti-tunnel perks), or you need to help the player being tunneled if you don't want the game to be lost.

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/4111108#Comment_4111108

    It's true that you can abandon when all survivors are slugged now, and there have been a lot of QoL changes. But I would be lying if I thought things have just been getting better for survivors. Even when I was playing 5 years ago and BT wasn't basekit, I honestly think there was STILL less tunneling back then, as most killers assumed the unhooker had it anyway (as they usually did). In the last couple months, the tunneling has been the worst I've ever experienced, and as it's not being addressed in anyway, and in fact basekit protections are actually going to be nerfed in duration (no the elusive isn't going to do anything against a camping tunneling killer), it's only going to get worse.

    Secret is that killers don't care about survivor fun experience neither do survivors about killer's.

1 2 ›