Discussion: Could Legacy P2P Systems Still Affect Validation?

I’m curious whether legacy P2P failsafes still contribute to current validation issues on dedicated servers.

I recently read an older explanation around grab validation that suggested some interactions may still rely on legacy client-side sanity checks/failsafes originally designed for the old P2P architecture. If that’s still partially true, could that be contributing to recurring issues like grab desyncs, validation inconsistencies, or old bugs resurfacing after larger systemic updates like 2v8?

The reason I ask is because it feels like some player confidence has started to erode lately.
I don’t think players are frustrated simply because bugs exist, every live-service game has bugs.

I think it’s more the feeling of:
recurring regressions
“tentative fixes” not fully resolving issues
previously fixed bugs resurfacing/kill switches becoming increasingly common

That creates a perception that some systems may be more fragile/interconnected than players realize, especially around interaction validation and networking.

Not trying to start a “spaghetti code” argument or attack the devs here I am part of a similar industry and have never seen a "clean" prod branch. I am genuinely interested from a technical/architectural perspective, because DBD is such a unique game and a lot of us want long-term confidence in the stability of core gameplay systems.

Comments

  • I feel like this may be the case as to why the hit checks are so wierd to do with it lol

    So I think it's a valid discussion to have, if the game were to read better on survivor side when getting hit, the game would feel a lot better to play. One great example is the new Blight hitbox reads REALLY bad with the current netcode.