Any tips for someone interested in game design?

Like starting from scratch what to learn, what kind of fields there are to persue, what kind of place offers the right education etc

Comments

  • I'm no expert on the subject, but a lot of studios start up when artists, writers, and programmers mix and mingle.

    Online communities like forums and discords where people learn how to make games might be a good place, Game Jams are also a good point to mix and mingle.

    Going to a school that offers game programming, or concept design, or programming, or animation. Don't look for "bootcamps" though…especially if they don't have the credentials to back up their legitimacy… I would have to search my memory bank really deep or get access to my old computer but there were some amazing classes I bought for game 3d animation/rigging and game programming on UE4 way back when. Useful for people who want to learn from home…

    one of the creators I bought from listed BHVR as one of their clients. Charged a hefty fee, but not that bad. Like I said though, I'd have to do some digging through my old computer to see what it's called or wrestle with my memory on google for a few hours.

    When you say Game Design I am thinking of WRITING. I am not thinking of modelling, animation and programming games. I don't know if that is your intended area of focus or not.

    For beginning programming I recommend SoloLearn to get hands-on practice, or watch some good fundamental videos on youtube and open up Visual Studio Code. Learn C++ and C# since those will be the most useful to you. DBD is made with Unreal Engine, and you can perform more functions if you know those languages. Also learn UE's Blueprint to streamline programming. It's designed to be Visual Programming so you can use it for a lot of things rather than just making lines of code for every single little thing.

    For Art, to create designs of your ideas like characters and maps…. there is no short cut. It takes many years to get good at so if it's not your passion. Get some artist friends, pay an artist, or you can go the unethical and sometimes illegal route of using AI. Strongly discourage it though because I'm an artist, and AI generations are not yet sourced ethically. You can try to learn enough just to get your ideas down without being a pro.

    Learn how to make Moodboards for your concepts if you suck at 2D art. Concept artists for games and movies actually use moodboards before they start their work to help cook up the ideas. You can see moodboards sometimes when you look at character designs on the DBD wiki pages of characters.

    3D Modelling and Animation also takes a LONG time because they are art-related. Hire people or get assets from an asset marketplace. Believe it or not, asset marketplaces are used even by AAA studios or even well-known indie studios.