My review of The Animatronic (and a potential idea!)
I really enjoy just about EVERYTHING about him all the way down to his kit, voice lines, skins, map, and I also really love that he has two entrance animations that both reference the game he came from (he’s also the first killer to have two entrance animations which is really cool), this has been my dream chapter for a while and I am really happy with what was done.
If you were curious about how I felt about him as a whole, there’s your answer. However, I do still have some criticism because it felt like something was missing. Some people thought Springtrap would naturally have a jumpscare as part of his ability, which I must admit him not having that is a bit of a bummer and THAT was the little thing that had me go “he feels perfect but SOMETHING’S missing” though I should perhaps explain a little more on that.
Springtrap technically CAN jumpscare a survivor but only when his axe is lodged into the player (so when springtrap is already chasing the survivor which derives the jumpscare from scaring the other player) but I do still like the inclusion of it nonetheless because it saves time from a normal pickup and it’s a cool animation. I also think he should get blind immunity like wesker during the special grab animation.
The other way for him to jumpscare the survivor is from the doors which actually can scare the player if they go through a security door while the animatronic is doing the same which I can definitely applaud the devs for however I must admit that the only way to get that jumpscare is if the survivor set THEMSELVES up for that to happen.
So I thought “why not give Springtrap a type of ambush similar to The Pig.” I noticed that practically no killers aside for one has an ambush ability and I think Springtrap having an ambush attack would be great for allowing him to jumpscare a survivor when they don’t know he’s there.
I’ll explain how it can work. In order to actually have the ability to Jumpscare, a few conditions need to be met.
You can’t have the axe on your person
You must be undetectable
If both of those conditions aren’t met then you won’t have the option but if they are then the option will be available. The Jumpscare would function a little similar to the pig’s dash but Springtrap’s ambush attack is only half her length but triple her speed.
Imagine The Pig’s ambush but the distance nerfed by half but the speed of the dash is tripled in comparison, I should also note that there is no warning sound during the ambush trigger (for example the pig has a roar just before her ambush), when springtrap successfully ambushes a survivor he will grab, then jumpscare. The animatronic will stab the suvrivor to put them in an injured state, if they are already injured then they will be automatically carried (I will explain the reasons for the measures as well).
I figured making the ambush range by half of the pig’s while tripling the speed is so that springtrap can get grabs around walls VERY quickly so he isn’t hard countered by sprint burst and I didn’t want the ambush to be TOO good and outshine the axe in loops so the range is down by half but you can still get grabs around walls on loops with high walls if you’re undetectable so it would still be viable but not as good in comparison to his axe. I also think that while springtrap is undetectable, his footsteps should be entirely silent so he can actually get in range for a jumpscare.
I’d say if there way ANYTHING I felt that was missing from his kit, it’s the ability to deliberately jumpscare someone while they don’t know you’re there. Will the devs look at this suggestion and potentially add it to his kit… don’t know. Either way I still enjoy everything him in his current state! But the lack of the ability to deliberately jumpscare is pretty off putting, I must admit.
Some people are also saying that when his axe is lodged somewhere, his base kit doesn’t provide much. I will agree in that regard but I have no idea what they could add to make it better (especially considering I already came up with an alternative ability idea for him not having his axe on him but that’s only assuming the devs actually add the suggestion I came up with).
I’m curious what you guys think of the jumpscare ability concept I came up with!
Comments
I played him today and really like him!