Redownloading the game from ptb to live everytime

Title:

This is a quick way to spend a lot of internet data + killing the life of hardware like hds and ssds.

Most of online games have a beta separated from the game like pubg, making it unecessary to feel this problem about downloading over and over

The fix for this aint genius play and it was solved 7 years ago in the dbd reddit with a bat file: https://www.reddit.com/r/deadbydaylight/comments/9al2ny/quickly_switch_between_live_dbd_and_ptb_dbd/

basically the devs could officialize this while only coding a bit to delete the ptb archive after its over since you have to do it manually after the ptb is over.

Or just make like the other games do, we can be better, these redownloading shenanigas keep players out of the ptb just because its extra work lol

Comments

  • Just for data ill link all posts made about this problem on different websites or forum threads so the devs can have a big scope on player demand about this, wich is factually big. //dont forget that fnaf ptb is small 5gb, but there was once a time we had to reinstall 32+ gbs

    https://steamcommunity.com/app/381210/discussions/0/1679189548076320569/

    @MimimiLalala said:

    Is there a way to skip this entire process of having to redownload+ install everything when switching between the current DBD and the PTB?

    I tried copying the entire DBD folder into another folder, then download DBD (original) again to play the real game. After being done with the real DBD i tried to swap the original DBD with my previously saved PTB folders, but that aint working.

    anyone knows how to skip the download/installation maybe? Its hella annoying to have to wait 20min+ just to change gamemode.

    https://www.reddit.com/r/deadbydaylight/comments/13qef0m/how_to_play_regular_game_and_ptb_without_patching/

    https://www.reddit.com/r/deadbydaylight/comments/qqbl5i/if_i_download_the_ptb_on_steam_do_i_have_to/

    https://www.reddit.com/r/deadbydaylight/comments/1eln187/downloading_the_ptb_without_losing_the_main_game/

    @Xbob42 said:

    I've made this thread each time a PTB has been held. Still haven't really had any sort of answer, so I guess I'll just keep asking until someone stumbles upon it.

    Benefits of separate library entry (many are similar, but no less true):

    1. You don't need to redownload the live game to play the live game.
    2. You don't need to redownload the PTB if you want to try it out after playing the live game again.
    3. Can keep the PTB installed to be updated separately.
    4. Participation becomes dramatically simpler as you don't have to dig into game properties and basically disable your live game until you've had your fill.
    5. Less likely to experience severe drop-off of users who reinstall the live game. Currently if you opt out of the PTB, you're extremely unlikely to opt back in because it's just annoying.
    6. Major bandwidth savings for users, as they're not downloading the game over and over again.
    7. More participation means better data, longer participation means more accurate data, and removing it from the beta branch means you can have it active for longer, or for experiments. Maybe not a small one like the Bloodlust one happening now, but definitely for bigger changes.

    Frankly, I find the beta branch to be fiddly, annoying and it consistently keeps me from bothering with the PTB. And when I do participate, it's only for a brief period because if I want a normal match again I have to completely redownload the main game and then I'll be damned if I'm gonna do that entire process again to play on the PTB again, which would require yet another downloading of the main game when I was done. That, or I sit with just the PTB for its duration with the weird lack of matchmaking and generally lower match quality and long queue times.

    This last one is the best one in terms of explanation