Game Crash on start (linux) (Patch 8.7.1)

ISSUE: The game doesn't even open after a full system install (excluding wine/proton prefixes too)

PLATFORM: PC

STEP BY STEP INSTRUCTIONS ON HOW THE ISSUE OCCURED:

Right after a clean installation of the game, when clicking on ''start'' in steam, the EAC (Easy anti cheat) tab opens, it loads up to 100%, but soon after it closes, and the game no longer opens (problem repeats)

Although this log is from proton 10.0, the same problem occurs with any other proton(experimental, 9.0-4/8.0-5), and the game worked normally in version 8.7.0 so something was changed during 8.7.1 that caused this error.

The distro I used was Open suse Slowroll

PLAYER LOG:

Tagged: Declined

Comments

  • Analyzing the log backtrace I noticed that:

    The c0000005 error in Dead by Daylight after the patch suggests a memory access violation, probably caused by:

    Incompatibility between the patch and the current version of Proton. (I rule it out because the game worked on 8.7.0)

    Problems with Easy Anti-Cheat. (possible if they made some change to the way EAC works in 8.7.1)

    -(Although the log mentions my use of goverlay/mangohud, I certify that I disabled both for retesting and the problem remained, so it was not caused by them.

  • I also certify that I tried the following solutions and they DID NOT work:

    I tried using Proton Experimental or Proton-GE or some other version (10/9/8), the problem persists.

    Verify the integrity of the game files. (I did this but it didn't work)

    I disabled overlays (MangoHud, Steam Overlay).

    I updated the graphics drivers.

    I also reinstalled the game.

  • Wanted to chime in and mention that I am encountering the same issue on Arch. Can you tell me how you generate/look up launch logs? I am curious to see if it is the same cause for both systems.

  • @tremendously_lost said:

    Wanted to chime in and mention that I am encountering the same issue on Arch. Can you tell me how you generate/look up launch logs? I am curious to see if it is the same cause for both systems.

    [PROTON_LOG=1 %command%] in Steam launch options

  • Same issue here on Gentoo. Was working with 8.7.0 but doesn't as of 8.7.1. I received the exact same error in my Proton log:

    "Unhandled exception code c0000005 flags 0 addr 0x6ffffff9081d"

    steam-381210.log
  • I think they broke reshade compatibility, I had to remove it and I had the same issue on Fedora, even after reinstalling it. Devs please make reshade work wit hEAC again, Windows can do it and it worked last patch.