Steam game recording broken on Linux

SUMMARY OF THE ISSUE: Steam game recording does not work for Dead by Daylight on Linux. This is the only game I have tried to record that seems affected by this issue. Recording does work using OBS.

This issue started sometime towards the end of last year, as I was able to record using the Steam beta client (prior to the official release of Steam game recording) during the summer of 2024.

PLATFORM: Linux.

Note this happens on every Linux system I own regardless of configuration. All of these are affected:

  • Debian Linux, KDE Plasma 5 desktop, X11 display server, nVidia GPU with official 535 drivers.
  • Debian Linux, KDE Plasma 6 desktop, Wayland display server, nVidia GPU with official 535 drivers.
  • Ubuntu Linux, Gnome Shell 46 desktop, Wayland display server, AMD GPU with official drivers.

STEP BY STEP INSTRUCTIONS ON HOW THE ISSUE OCCURED: Turn on Steam game recording, launch game. Observe the overlay shows "no recording available."

I've tried the following to fix it:

  • Forcing DirectX 11/12 rendering modes.
  • Changing in-game resolution and fullscreen modes (fullscreen, windowed borderless, windowed).
  • Changing Proton versions used to run DBD.
  • Disabling and re-enabling game recording while DBD is running.
  • Running DBD in gamescope (the game fails to run under gamescope).
  • Tinkering with Steam game recording settings, such as disabling GPU encoding.

VIDEO: I can provide upon request, though I'm not sure how useful it will be. Here is a screenshot:

image.png

PLAYER LOGS:

DeadByDaylight.log
Tagged: Declined

Comments