A Concerned Player Suggesting Changes Once More

Introduction

Hello, months ago when I first joined the forums I made large post with changes aimed towards making a more fun and balanced Dead by Daylight, and it was fairly well received. Since Dead by Daylight has developed, as have my ideas, so I'd like to share them in a much shorter post.


Survivor Blood Points

Benevolence

Unhook: 500 BP

Safe Unhook: 500 BP

Heal: 500 BP

Lightbringer

Gen: 1500 BP

Survival

[New Score Event] Working on a Gen while a Survivor is hooked: 1000 Bonus BP

Dull Totem Cleanse: 800 BP

Hex Totem Cleanse: 1200 BP

(Survivor Blood Points are too heavily weighted towards Benevolence. These changes intend to remedy this, while also adequately rewarding proper Survivor action)


Killer Blood Points

Hunter

[New Score Event] Hooking a different Survivor than before: 600 Bonus BP

(A simple addition to help encourage interacting with all Survivors more often)


Blood Web

Common and Uncommon Blood Point Offerings are now removed

Common Mist Offerings are now removed

Blood Webs max out at level 40

Unique Perks are Rank 3 by default for their specific character

Each Prestige unlocks an additional perk slot at level 1

(The Blood Web grind is artificial and tedious. While much of this is intentional by Behavior, I do believe a middle ground can be achieved)


General Balance

[New Mechanic] Killer may close Hatch, but will power the Exit Gates, as well as double Survivor Gate Opening, Cleansing, and Trap Search/Escape speed. If the Survivor does not escape within 60 seconds, they become exposed, with their Aura revealed for 5 seconds

Hatch Shut: 800 Blood Points in Hunter

(End game in Dead by Daylight is slow and dull. This change intends to hasten the process while also providing fair opportunity for one man escapes)


Survivor Balance

Heal Time: 14s

Dull Totem Cleanse Time: 10s

Hex Totem Cleanse Time: 14s

[New Mechanic] Kindred 3 is base

[New Mechanic] While a Survivor is being chased, their player icon turns bright red

(Shortening the gap between Solo and SWF, as well as encouraging preventative action are the goals of these changes)


Killer Balance

Kick Speed is 40% faster

Hooking Time: 1s

(Compensating for previous Survivor buffs by reducing the time the Killer is stuck in animations)


Ending Thoughts

While I’d love to write down a list of Perk changes as well. It would unfortunately more than double the size of this post, so I won’t.

All in all compared to when I first started playing, I’d say Dead by Daylight is in a better spot. That being said, there’s still much more to improve.

Comments

  • I kind of like the hatch change, though I may feel differently once I see it in action. Kick speed for pallets and gen's is 40% faster? Am I missing something here? Seems crazy, so I may be misinterpreting.

  • I kind of like the hatch change, though I may feel differently once I see it in action. Kick speed for pallets and gen's is 40% faster? Am I missing something here? Seems crazy, so I may be misinterpreting.

    With brutal strength it be fast af boi
  • Fenrir said:

    I kind of like the hatch change, though I may feel differently once I see it in action. Kick speed for pallets and gen's is 40% faster? Am I missing something here? Seems crazy, so I may be misinterpreting.

    With brutal strength it be fast af boi
    That’s the idea.

    With these changes, the information available to Survivors increases dramatically and the gap between SWF and Solos shortens.

    In turn, the Killer needs to become stronger to ensure things don’t get out of hand.
  • Thats actually a really good idea to balance the game. I'd love it.

  • This is the first suggestions post that is actually very reasonable and not ridiculous. I'd just love to have the survivor reward system favor boldness over any other activity. It's ridiculous how one person can run the killer around for 5 whole gens, get camped at the end then de-pip because they maxed out boldness points while all other emblems are at 0. It's not the survivor's fault the killer won't leave them alone.
    Thanks, and what you brought up has to do with problems with the emblem system. I was going to go over that as well, however I refrained for the sake of making the post much smaller and more digestible.

    Otherwise, yeah. The current emblem system unreasonably favors Benevolence, specifically unhooks over anything else. Lightbringer, Unbroken, and Evader very poorly reward the player at the moment.

    That being said, given how pointless the ranking system is as a measurement of skill and how relatively small a game Dead by Daylight is. I’d argue DBD would benefit from abolishing the ranking system entirely and have matchmaking be solely connection based. The exception being for new players, like it currently is.
  • A lot of these are common sense and easy changes to implement that would encourage and reward playstyles that are more fun for everyone in a game. Still want to camp or tunnel? Go ahead, but you'll be missing out on a substantial amount of BP. Still ignoring objectives so you can max out benevolence and make risky unhooks? Sure, but you'll be rewarded far less.

    I dig it.
  • A lot of these are common sense and easy changes to implement that would encourage and reward playstyles that are more fun for everyone in a game. Still want to camp or tunnel? Go ahead, but you'll be missing out on a substantial amount of BP. Still ignoring objectives so you can max out benevolence and make risky unhooks? Sure, but you'll be rewarded far less.

    I dig it.
    In games, I feel the leading with the carrot is more effective than the stick.

    I also try to avoid proposing complicated fixes when I can and go for much subtler changes to numbers.
  • Poweas said:

    Thats actually a really good idea to balance the game. I'd love it.

    Thanks, any specific feedback you’d like to share?
  • I kind of like the hatch change, though I may feel differently once I see it in action. Kick speed for pallets and gen's is 40% faster? Am I missing something here? Seems crazy, so I may be misinterpreting.

    The Hatch change is just one of many possible solutions to Dead by Dyalight’s end game.

    And yes, the Killer change is a strong, yet simple change. As I explained in my post, it is to compensate for the numerous survivor buffs I suggested.
  • I like these changes to a certain extent however there are quite a few things i HIGHLY disagree with.

    *40%: Although i can understand why you gave the killers the 40% buff to their kick speed, it is in actuality impossible to implement this for killers would break things at a ridiculous speed, thus causing pallets to be almost entirely obsolete and making the game entirely in the killers favor to a outrageous degree, especially if you were to include brutal strength into the mix they would kick gens in like half a second same with pallets, it would be impossible to loop them if they also were to add bamboozle into the mix.This can not happen.

    • Benevolence: Again i can see why you would wish this to be a thing, but however this would dramatically encourage people to just allow their fellow survivors to die, i do believe the point system for this tree should be changed and moved slightly to light-bringer the actual objective of the game but not in this way. My recommendation would be to have-> Unhooks = 250, Safe Hooks = 1,000, Heal = 500. This would be a little lower then the numbers now but still fairly spread out and doesn't encourage sandbagging like the current in game system does.
      *** Lightbringer**: Instead of adding 1,000 BP for doing the objective while someones hooked, i believe that just 500 more to the objective itself would work far better and not solely be more beneficial when a team mate is dying and thus encouraging the survivor to not go and save their fellow survivor.

    • Blood Web: Several things i do not agree with here, 1 being that it caps at 40 i believe 50 is perfectly fine and is a much rounder number, and with the decrease in perks needing to be accessed with some being level 3 off the back this wouldnt do much lowering the number anyway. As well as some other offerings being changed.

    • Kindred: I highly disagree with this just due to the fact of it making many other perks unneeded or extremely under powered, Bond,After Care, and Empathy especially being extremely weaker with this change, i understand the desire for it could help with communications like with survive with friends but i just cant see it being overall good in the long run. The red glow could help however.
  • @Chaoxide

    I think the main thing I have to say here is that these numbers are not set in stone. These are just examples numbers for the direction I feel balance should take. To reward proper team play and cooperation.

    40% Faster Kick Speed: This could probably be toned down, while having another Killer buff. That being said, I still feel speeding up Killer actions is one of the better routes to take. Since Killers like Nurse who can ignore pallets is less impacted, while others receive a very tangible buff.

    (Something like 25% with a different buff should be alright)

    Benevolence: It’s the idea of putting more focus on the objective. However it could be changed to:

    Unhook: 500 BP
    Safe Unhook: 750 BP
    Heal: 750 BP

    (To keep it enticing, but reward proper play)

    Lightbringer: I could agree with a 500 BP bonus, just so long as it’s somewhat significant.

    Blood Web: I don’t particularly agree, but the most important changes are the removal of filler Offerings anyway.
     
    Kindred: It could just be the Kindred effect but limit the range. Something like: when within 36 meters of a hooked Survivor, other Survivors within that range are revealed. Additionally, Killers within 8 meters of the hook are revealed.

    (This way, it keeps those perks from falling out of favor. While still closing the gap between Solo and SWF information)

    I hope that addresses most of your concerns regarding my proposed changes, but if not let me know. This is a discussion for the purpose of a better Dead by Daylight, so I appreciate the feedback.