You know what line of Perk text really grinds my gears?
Hangman's Trick: "The automatic repair timer of sabotaged Bear Traps is reduced by 60 seconds."
I don't know about you guys, but I don't like the idea of very specific items and perks that directly reference/interact with Killers' powers. It just feels so inelegant to me for a specific perk or mechanic to have an ability that is flat-out only relevant if one specific Killer is in play. These include:
-Sabotaging giving you the ability to break hooks...oh also, bear traps.
-Flashlights being able to blind killers and potentially save someone being carried...oh, btw Spirit, you get extra penalty if you happen to be invisible...also **** you Hag traps (Nurse is also affected by Lightburn, but from what I can tell, it doesn't actively affect her power beyond "You can't do anything while stunned from flashlights, which technically includes blinking)
-Adrenaline giving you an extra speed boost and healing when the gates are powered...oh yeah, it also undoes Freddy's power.
-Hangman's Trick, the one that minimizes damage to Hooks...wait, since when can you sabotage Reverse BeaOH THEY MEAN TRAPPER'S BEAR TRAPS.
(Even though it directly references Madness and Intoxication, Calm Spirit I am more okay with because it interacts with the Doctor's and Clown's powers in an indirect way as opposed to "You are unaffected by the Doctor's Static Field." or "The Clown's poison gas doesn't hinder your vision." They should just remove the references to Doctor and Clown and just say that the Survivor supresses his screams, though. I also don't have much issue with Small Game.)
If the game was more overall built around the idea of Powers being directly affected by things other than add-ons, then these wouldn't feel as arbitary. But as far as I'm aware, Killer Powers are intended to be directly augmented by Killer add-ons and that's it. I absolutely see the flavor justification for these things, but as far as the mechanical side of things, these specific interactions really feel like a design plan from way earlier in the game's life span that the devs never properly incorporated into the game (which makes sense, since most of these interactions are from pretty early in the game's lifespan or, in the case of Hangman's Trick affecting Trapper's power, a result of an early game design choice).
I know it sounds like I'm complaining about Survivor advantages, but that's only because most of these interactions just coincidentally happen to be on the Survivor's end. I guess I just wish these specific interactions were re-worked somehow to feel more organic to the game's mechanics rather than just being randomly tied to specific Killer powers in very direct ways, which goes against the idea of Killer powers only being directly affected by Killer Add-ons.
I know it sounds like I'm complaining about Survivor advantages, but that's only because most of these interactions just coincidentally happen to be on the Survivor's end. I guess I just wish these specific interactions were re-worked somehow to feel more organic to the game's mechanics rather than just being randomly tied to specific Killer powers in very direct ways, which goes against the idea of Killer powers only being directly affected by Killer Add-ons.
Tl;dr - Me no likely when things other than Killer add-ons directly reference/affect Killer powers because they feel random and out of place mechanically.
Comments