My rework of Garden of Joy

For over a year now, The Dredge and Garden of Joy has been around and has been one of the most survivor sided maps there is (arguably). There are maps such as The Game with too many pallets or Lary's with too many windows for example from some sides. Even RPD for its confusing map layout for players. However, Garden of Joy is a little different from these maps, but also the same in their own ways. The map has been nerfed several times as of lighting, tile placements, hook spawns, etc. However, the map is still considered survivor sided to a massive amount of the community and I don't blame them. Here's my perspective on the map and how I could change it.

My perspective: The map is interesting. Decent sized map, some would even say big, with some good pallet loops and some unsafe ones as well to balance it out. Here's the issue. The map is a buggy mess. Every time the DEVs try to patch a bug, POOF! Here's another one for your troubles.

Another thing is how the map is structured. If you notice, a survivor will almost always try to lead the killer into the main building or the jungle-gyms by shack because they're so good. Main has 2 drop down god windows that are good for making distance if you got enough, a god pallet on the right-hand side (I don't have much of a problem with this one), and the kitchen window. Now yes there are counters to this, but nonetheless it doesn't make it any less annoying.

The whole line of shack let's be honest can be just straight bull to go against. A shack on the left, then a pallet that isn't amazing, but it interconnects into a jungle-gym that connects into another one, and the parking lot loop. It can take so long to down someone that knows what they're doing against this and overall is just a pain. Also, in the road there's 2-3 random pallets just in case you can't make it which is just "wonderful".

My rework: Most of this is just that the map is poorly designed and needs some loop fixes, so here's what I would do. One of those jungle gyms gets turned into a T&L loop, preferably the one by the parking garage. Now angle the windows towards the boarder so they don't directly interconnect, but still do sort of. It gives the killer so much more mind game potential.

Main building is much trickier. It's been reworked a lot. I would keep the window next to the gen, the pallet, and kitchen window the same. My issue is how large it is, so I would completely remodel the house, but not majorly different. It would just be smaller by a smidge. It may not sound like a lot, but it can help close gaps better. The bugs part that's just on DEVs, not much I can say there.

Also, I would remove a few bushes. There's WAY too many to hide behind. Some are good, but there's about 30 bushes or something on that map. Some need to go. Plus, reworking some of the hitboxes on the map. I main Blight so some hitboxes on bushes and other things are a little awkward. I also know that hitboxes for other killers, such as range killers are funky so that would be adjusted.

Other than that, I'm not sure what more I would change. Feel free to leave your thoughts about the map, this is all just my opinion. It's cool to have an opinion, but just don't force it onto anyone please. Thanks!

Comments