What would a casual v competitive mode look like and would it even work?

I’ve seen lots of posts asking for separate game modes for people who want to play casually vs the people who want to go all out for the full win every match/sweat, whatever. In theory that sounds nice but how would we actually make that work?

Right now, in live servers how you play in a match decides your bloodpoints, pips, rank, XP/devotion level and your BP reward for rank reset. If we had a casual mode does that all go away for casual and only count for the competitive mode? Because I can see casual players being upset at the fact that they can’t play a more casual mode and still get those level ups and rewards. (Also how would that differ from simply playing customs at that point?) Or do we keep everything as is for casual mode but give extra rewards for people who play in competitive mode?

Because I can see the competitive people complaining about “But shouldn't we get more prestige’s or BP or ranks for playing more competitively?” Honestly, I think it could work to keep the current BP, rank, prestige system as is for the casual mode and for the competitive mode, increase it. Give them extra BP, extra XP per match for playing the competitive mode, but what do you guys think?

The biggest issue I see though is this: We split the game modes and have a casual and competitive but the people who want to play harder or sweatier, still queueing into the casual lobbies. Why? Because a lot people who want to play hard and go for the win ie 4K/4 escape every time don’t actually want the CHALLENGE that comes with the win. They just want the win.

We’ve seen so many posts and comments on here, steam, reddit etc about people complaining that they’re not getting that 4K every match or escaping every match and asking for nerfs in order to make it easier for them to win.

So knowing that this community has a lot of people who want and/or feel entitled to easy wins every single match, what’s to stop them from simply joining the casual mode, then playing all out full esports competitively? Basically taking the easier road to their wins, but thereby negating the casual mode altogether for the casual players? Yes we could add more rewards for people who choose to play competitively, more BP, more XP etc. but I’ve had many many interactions with those who say they don’t care about BP, shards etc they just care about winning.

So basically, how would you force or incentivize people to play in the correct game mode for how they want to play?

This is just my own thought process but I could be way off the mark here I’d love to hear thoughts and ideas for how you guys would implement two different game modes. 😃

Comments