Player Entitlement in this community is Unbelievable
Shortly after loading into Haddonfield, (one of the many maps that doesn't favour Knight without Call to Arms), I am greeted with the Ada in the middle of the street. She gives up the moment she sees me and doesn't move the whole match. I want to finish the game ASAP so I can verse a team of survivors that actually want to play the game. So I down her and go after the other survivors. The Mikaela gives up as well shortly afterwards. Once everyone is dead I go to the end-game chat to ask why someone would give up at the drop of a hat. This was the brief conversation we had:
I want to preface the argument I'm about to make with some very important facts:
- I am fully aware that DbD isn't a balanced game in the slightest.
- I am fully aware that Knight isn't fun to verse for most people.
- I do not think people should be forced to keep playing a game they find unfun.
Now with that being said...
The people who act like this, who give up the moment a game starts because they have to go against something they don't like, are among the most entitled and toxic people in the DbD community.
I'll now explain why using the Ada in my game as an example. As you may have noticed she's a P100 player, like me. So she would have had to put in at least several hundred hours into the game. Likely over one thousand hours in total. With that in mind it's safe to assume that she is aware of elements of the game that aren't very well designed, or just not to her liking. And that by loading up the game, clicking the "Play Survivor" button, and finding a lobby, that there is a chance that she will encounter something that she doesn't like.
I will testify that there are absolutely things that I hate having to deal with as P100 Knight. Well over 50% of the maps in the game just do not favour him. And if you want to win on these maps you have to pick up the slack of the bad map design and play near flawlessly most of the time. It isn't fair, it isn't balanced, but that's just how DbD is.
I know that when I load into a game there's a high chance that I am going to struggle if I want to do well. It's a fact that I accept because I like playing the character so much and I'm willing to put up with stuff like this so I can enjoy being Knight.
But that does not make it ok to ruin the game for 4 other people simply because someone has to deal with something they don't like. In this case, it was a specific killer. I know that some of you who bothered to read this looked at my build and are thinking: "Knock-Out on Knight? Well of course they gave up! No one wants to be slugged."
Except that the Ada gave up the instant she realised that she was against a Knight. I hadn't even gotten a single down and this person single-handedly ruined the game of 4 other people because they thought they were above dealing with something poorly designed in DbD. People like Ada really don't care about how other people play. They have an arbitrary list of things that they personally don't like. And if they encounter any of these things they will not hesitate to throw the game, or give up, or DC, because they cannot fathom dealing with something they don't like.
Let me break this down for you...
- This player likely put in thousands of hours to P100 a character.
- They did this despite knowing how "unfun" the game was for them.
- They knowingly and willing loaded up the game to play a match with 4 other people who all have to deal with the exact same "unfun" things that they do.
- And the moment they encounter something that they don't like, they prioritise themselves over everyone else because they feel they don't have to deal with things like the other people who also play this game.
- And they repeat this over, and over, and over again because they simply don't care about the other players. Even though they are the only reason they are able to find matches in the first place.
I want to make clear that giving up or DC'ing during a game isn't always a bad thing necessarily. If the game is basically over and the killer is just hooking/waiting for everyone to bleed out because of bad hook spawns, then DC'ing just helps end the game faster for everyone. Or if your 3 team mates just ran into the jaws of a camping Leatherface there simply isn't much you can do and giving up prevents the game from stalling and lets you move onto another match as soon as possible.
And I need to state again that I am not making excuses for the terrible design decisions of this game. We all know that DbD is light-years away from perfect. But if you're going to make the choice of playing it then you have to accept that, at some point, you are going to deal with things that you don't find fun.
And if you don't want to deal with things that you don't find fun, that's totally fine! Load up a different, better made game like DRG and enjoy yourself there. You aren't being held hostage. You are free to do something that, unlike DbD, you know you will enjoy.
But if you keep loading into games, knowing full well what might await you, and you keep DC'ing or giving up, ruining what little fun was left to be had for everyone else, and then refuse to take accountability for your actions...
Then you are part of the problem. And you need to uninstall this game.
EDIT 02/06: Arguing against some of the "counter-arguments" on this thread has been exhausting.




Comments
June 2021 was Nemesis release, a massive ip released at the start of summer. If course dbd looks bad when you remove context and compare it to the absolute peak.
However If you look at April/May 2022 and April/May 2023 you see the player base is around the same amount. The game is doing just fine.
There's nothing that needs to be addressed for rage quitters. They're only going to find new reasons to be babies. They just need grow up and accept that not every pvp game will go their way out find single player games to enjoy instead.
Anyways I'm done humoring you. I got far better things to do than to engage someone who wants to defend baby behavior.
If we look at May 2022 - May 2023 we still see a downward trend. I don’t know why you’re trying to pretend it’s not there when the image is in front of us.
You’re totally clueless, though. You’ve zero plan for reducing the amount of rage quitters in game, and you think I’m the one defending “baby behavior.”
I’m the only one in this conversation with a sensible way forward.
Your solution is to do nothing.
Actually hilarious.
Hold on, I found your picture online:
This is too good mate. Oh my, you really have humored me this time.
Rage quitting is at an all-time high, and your plan is to do nothing. That is pure gold.
Don’t let the door hit you on the way out, yeah?
You two are both discounting the other side.
DC's/suicide/afk's are never acceptable, that doesn't mean under lying issues with the game are not present.
League is probably one of the most consistently hated games by it's own playerbase but continues to be the biggest multiplayer game in the world for a reason. It receives constant change regardless of it's frustrating issues.
On the other hand dbd receives lackluster updates that happen infrequently. No real base game changes have happened to shake up the gameplay either.
BUT league does not allow these disgusting behaviors that dbd allows. Saying players giving up before a hook even happens is a symptom is far too generous. The dbd playerbase is simply not built to play in a real competitive way and is far too bias to see what needs to happen to their own role.
Just because major issues exist does not give players an excuse to ruin other peoples matches.
Both issues are equally killing the game regardless of what either of you think. 1 person DC's and a player decides their done for the night even though that person that DC'd was done playing before they even took a hit. Tunneling and all of these new anti gameplay killers are also contributing to people losing interest.
I personally believe that survivors dc far more often because they have lost a bit of an easy access power level that they can't obtain without some sort of skill anymore, although killers can be quite skilless in their objective and come out with a tie. Just because I have that opinion doesn't mean I don't think tunneling shouldn't be addressed. Although I am quite certain that slugging and 3-gens are fine outside of skull merchant and maybe knight.
Above all saying the Ada is in the right is just wrong in any regard. Ada's making a far greater impact by making the random people she happens to be on a team with want to play less than bhvr picking up just one more dc.
I'm closing this here, I think the thread has completed its course and many people started justifying unsportsmanlike conducts.