March 2023 from a solo Survivor view.
There are a lot of good fixes in this update and then some things which are really out of left field. The biggest problem to me is many of these changes seem like they were based off of some spread cheat a number cruncher came up with rather than listening to the player community. If something is not broke don't attempt to change it. Meta isn't bad if the Meta works and makes for a fun game. Just changing things to shake things up is not really something I personally like. Then again I play games for fun, not professionally, not for hour upon hours a day. Just a fun quick diversion during the day when I have a break. I like things to be consistent. DBD because of its limitations is frustrating because there is not much consistency from game to game. It seems like making a stable consistent playing experience should be the goal. This update is troubling for that reason.
The Bloodweb changes are all good.
The colorblind/heartbeat terror radius changes are good.
The map changes we will have to wait and see if this improves gameplay. I am interested in seeing the Gas Heaven map changes.
Currently by all percentages the game currently is killer sided (65% of survivors die) so for balance of the game changes needed to make it more survivor friendly.
The healing changes? Now this is an odd one and at first glance it seems a step in the wrong direction. Healing took too long to begin with. If a killer loses a chase, that means the survivor won the chase and should be rewarded. So the community was stating healing took too long and needed to be buffed. Solo Survivors were suffering the most, this amounted in a decline in the player base. Not really sure about these healing changes in improving the Solo Survivor playing experience. Common sense would say if healing was under performing then you buff it, but this really sounds like a nerf. I guess the developers will explain their reasoning.
Circle of Healing. So one of the big problems with playing Survivor was getting healed because other players, unless playing swf, could not get anyone to heal them or your teammates were incompetent. Again this really feels like a Nerf. Since healing was already problematic, this seems like fixing something that was not broken. Again, knowing DBD has had trouble attracting and maintaining new Survivor players, it seems like another misstep.
Deadhard. The biggest problem was that the perk did not work correctly. The game lag caused extreme problems with being able to successfully use the perk. So the common sense solution would be to fix the perk or alter it so players got more value out of it. Again, this feels like a nerf by adding an additional requirement to use the perk. Remember if you turn while running DH would not trigger because the mechanics treat a change in direction as stopping and then beginning to run again. It is almost like the developers are actively trying to get players not to use the perk because they can't make it work right.
The Hillbilly. Was anyone complaining about Billy? Billies are fun to play against and attracted a lot of fun killer players to his unique abilities. The changes feel like a Nerf where none was needed.
Pig. Girl needed a buff and these changes sound good. I want to see more Piggies ingame.
Hag. Have to wait and see, but I don't initially like these changes. Hag is not trapper, she has way more flexibility with how many traps she places. I can't imagine how this will play out so I will have to see it in action.
Overall flashlights seemed to have lost much of their usefulness. This is at first glance another Nerf which was unwanted and unnecessary.
Scourge Hook: Pain Resonance, Call of Brine, and Overcharge changes. These seem like strong Nerfs which will help Survivors, but I'm not a huge fan. These were passive perks, no skill needed, no action keys to hit. The problem was when used together these Perks were OP, but individually they could be overcame. I would have liked to see some sort of skill based requirement or some sort of "exhaustion-like" limitation to how often they triggered.
The other changes for the most part seem minor and just more changes for the sake of making changes to shake things up rather than to improve overall fun.
I imagine these changes will result in me playing less, last year's changes greatly reduced my fun and amount of time I spent playing. I really do not understand why the developers are implementing these changes knowing that the previous revisions in this direction hurt the game.
Comments