The King’s podcast
Is it worth a watch? Only have any reason to for Ardetha.
Read THIS post.
Tldr: This is an archived version of the DBD forum, it has all posts, comments and media. The archived data will be published at the end of October. This site is not in any way affiliated with or endorsed by Behaviour Interactive.
Comments
I watched all of it, it was cool and Ardetha was a savage as usual. Some cool discussions to hear and I hope there's some more released. It's a long listen though so only if you've got time
I watched it. Interesting discussion, however I think that everyone underestimates the developer's understanding of the game. I posted a comment explaining this, but I had a chance to work in game dev through a user experience lab for about a year during my capstone at college. It opened my eyes to what actually goes into making games, and I will tell you that game devs (especially the designers) have an IMMENSE understanding of the game at a fundamental level.
At one point they all kind of jumped on the bandwagon of "Legion should have 115% movement" when the devs have said they tested this and it was bad. Most players would call BS and say it would be better, but the truth is if they think it was bad it is probably bad. Sure they could throw it onto the PTB, but that's a waste of time/resources that could be spent coming up with better solutions. The result will probably be people realizing that 115% movement IS BAD for Legion. So why bother to do a public test if they know the outcome?
There was also a lot of theorycrafting, and again this goes back to none of these guys being game developers. They are players. Perspective matters. You can sit there an come up with a whole lotta stuff that sounds great on paper, but in practice it almost never plays out that way. The only way to actually find solutions is to test and retest them in the game, rigorously in an endless cycle of iteration. Like, read the description for Surveillance and it sounds very good, because you can track which gens are being touched after you kick them. But in practice it falls apart, first because you can't kick 3 gens in 16 seconds, and second because it doesn't really do anything to slow the game. It's just information that you could easily get by reading your opponent. If I kick a gen that's got 2 pumps working, and walk away, I KNOW FOR A FACT someone got right back on the sucker and is working on it. So if I chase someone and get a hook, and I'm using something like PGTW, that's probably going to be the first gen I go check. If it hasn't been touched since I kicked it I'm actually more surprised than if it's still running.
People need to accept that the devs know what they are doing. Too many people think they have better ideas, but the truth is their ideas are awful. Might sound great, but it won't actually be great if you put it into the game.
That's not to say I didn't enjoy the discussion or that they had nothing of use to say. They did. Just making the point that even the best players in the world make ######### game developers. It is an art AND a science, and it's not as easy as you think. Trust me on this, I used to think that way until I got to peak into game dev. Now I appreciate the effort these guys put into a game for US, the players, and I trust them to make the right decisions (at least when it comes to what's best for the game, stuff like microtransactions and loot boxes are a different story... that's the publisher usually forcing the game devs to put in features to make money).