Opinions on Unranked / Ranked + Different Game Modes
Did the Player Satisfaction Survey and saw a question regarding new modes, and got inspired to make a post I'd been thinking about for a bit.
After taking a decent break from DBD to play other games (mostly Overwatch 2) my opinion on having a Casual vs Ranked mode have changed tremendously.
The way Overwatch 2 handles Quick Play (casual mode) and Competitive mode is really nice. Quick Play actually feels casual. I don't feel as much pressure in that mode. I can play characters I normally never play without worrying about being a complete detriment to the team.
I think DBD would actually greatly benefit from taking cues from Overwatch 2 in particular!
Unranked: No DC penalty, player gets replaced if they DC, faster queues
Ranked: DC Penalties active & more harsh, If someone DC's early in the game (Say before the first gen is finished.) the game automatically ends and players are put into a priority requeue which gets them in a new lobby faster, (but if someone DC's say 2 gens in, then you have the ability to DC without penalty OR finish the game and get the experience earned), ranked based matchmaking, "Comp Points" rewarded for wins that can be used to acquire golden items. (I also think a competitive mode would benefit from having a smaller map pool (with less RNG in terms of pallets & loops. As well as potential perk, item, add-on restrictions.)
I would love if DBD had something like this.
Another thing I'd love to see is an Arcade Mode section similar to Overwatch 2. With more "fun" game modes with alternative objectives. Akin to the snowmen and the rift generators from that one event. It'd be dope to even have arcade modes themed around licenses. Like a Hide and Seek game mode where you have to hide from Micheal, or a "Mystery Build" mode where your perks are completely randomized.
I also would love an Experimental mode. I saw a tweet by TricksterShadow a couple weeks ago where he mentioned "Super Charging" the perks in the shrine every week. Giving them buffed values that are reverted every week. I think that would be a good way to test potential perk buffs that could be applied to the main modes. "Oh this perk isn't getting used as much? Let's put it in the shrine and give it a decent numbers buff & see how it does in experimental." It'd be like a mini-PTB mode but in the main game, available for players on all platforms.
Comments
I would love a ranked mode in DbD. It would actually make me play the game again on a regular basis.
I don't really see too many downsides to adding it. The unranked queue more or less stays the same as it is, and some of the sweat moves over to ranked.
Queue times might be funky at first, but a lot of people don't play DbD *because* there isn't a ranked ladder. The game could grow from it. Plus the devs can get better balance data from ranked. Tighter matchmaking and people playing to win. There could be some real positives to come from it.
From what I saw Mandy said they probably won't do that because it would split the playerbase more causing longer Que times. Personally it won't change much because you'll still have "Rankers" playing unranked just to stomp on players who are not into ranked play