An Objective Perspective: A Fine Balance.
First, I will just start off by saying that I don’t play computer games and actually have never played this game. However, I have watched my boyfriend play this game for hours and hours and I’ve picked up a few things. This may make it seem like it’s not my place to give input, but I think it gives a valuable objective perspective as I’m not personally invested.
This game is essentially two games in one, playing as survivor and playing as killer, both with very different gameplay. The reality is that for the game to continue successfully there needs to be four times as many people choosing to play as survivor as there are killers. Both killer players and survivor players need each other, the rivalry isn’t productive outside of the gameplay. Both sides need to listen to each other’s input or there will be no game to play.
What makes this game unique in my opinion is the fact that playing as a survivor you have no weapons or real self-defence comparable to the killer’s, and I think that’s great as it means you need to skilfully use your hiding techniques to be able to win.
The concept of the game is comparable to hide and seek. The killers are more powerful due to their speed and weapons and this works great as it is balanced by the survivors’ strength in numbers and evasion techniques. I think the success of this relationship is dependent on maintaining the balance. What I think is damaging this balance is that the survivors’ hiding abilities, arguably their strongest defence, is significantly diminished by the amount of aura perks available to killers. I can understand having a rare perk with some degree of aura abilities to give a killer a bit of an edge however it seems like 9/10 games I watch the killer has one or more (usually more!) aura perks. This takes away the main strength of survivors, being their ability to hide. As mentioned, the killers are stronger and faster, so the survivors need to be able to balance this out with the ability to hide.
For example, in an indoor, double floor map and a killer with strong aura abilities (as most high-level killers do), there is essentially no competition and the game is over in minutes. I believe the game statistics would support this.
A survivor needs to be able to hide with confidence knowing that if they are using good technique they won’t be seen. Taking this away is frustrating for survivors because regardless of your skill abilities you are defenceless, leading to plenty of frustrated disconnects. From what I’ve seen, survivors don’t mind being beaten in a game when skill levels are well matched, and all is played fairly. This is much more satisfying for all players.
This game clearly has a lot of loyal followers and many skilled players. To maintain this game’s success, it is essential to keep this balance, or the result will be uneven ratios of players and empty lobbies. I am speaking predominantly from a survivor perspective because that’s what I’ve mostly watched but of course killers’ frustrations need to be addressed also because without one you don’t have the other.
Comments
K i'll bite.
I'm just going to say that I main survivor, and with practice you can dodge all the killer's tracking perks very easily. BBQ especially is easy to dodge, I do it without even trying now. The key is to be able to understand what perks the killer is using. The sooner you figure out the killer's plan the better chance you have to survive.
Hiding is one aspect of playing survivor. You have to be able to track the killer and move around so that you don't get found. Sometimes this is easier or harder depending on the killer and their build. But it is inevitable that, against a good killer, you will be found at some point, which is where the chase comes in. You need to be able to run from the killer, if at least for as much time as possible to give others a chance to do objectives. And even against a good killer, it's not impossible to lose them in a chase. It's easier to do if you also player killer and understand how they see the game world. Mind games are a huge factor too, you need to be able to be unpredictable while predicting what the killer is going to do.
The problem is most survivors ignore learning this stuff and instead choose to blame the game for their own failures. When I play killer, and I see a survivor with BBQ, 9 times outta 10 when I go to where I saw the aura they are still in the area. They didn't even attempt to dodge me. Claudettes are the biggest culprits, they hide in a bush and just assume I'm a blind idiot that doesn't know they are there. When I'm survivor, the moment I realize the killer sees me I bolt. I don't give them time to close the gap I just go and start the chase. A lot of times that saves my butt because I'm able to reach a pallet or window loop. I'd rather assume the killer is good and start a chase by mistake, than assume they are bad and give them a free hit.
A lot of survivors also have no clue how to read a killer. They see a killer proxy camping, when they don't realize that he suspects someone is nearby and is just looking for them. Or they see a killer tunneling when in reality they just keep running into the killer, and being an easy target go down super fast. They get mad at the killer because the incorrectly assume intent. That's when people DC or kill themselves on the hook. These survivors need to play killer to understand what's actually going on. Similarly, killers need to play survivor to understand why survivors do certain things. "He body blocked me going to the hook, he is trying to be a toxic troll". No he is trying to save another survivor, because in doing so he increases his own chances of survival. Also they get BP and emblem points for it. I'll gladly take a hit if I can afford it, even if I know nothing will come of it because points. Not trying to ruin the killers game, just playing as optimally as I can. That's not to say toxic survs/killers don't exist, but I'm willing to bet the MAJORITY of these instances where the player assume toxicity is just the other guy doing what he should be doing in that situation.
Like I got called a camper/tunneler the other day, when the truth is that the guy was saved almost IMMEDIATELY after I hooked him, right in front of my face. As killer I can't just let that go, that's a big boo-boo, so yes I'm going to punish that by downing you again and putting you back on a hook. It wasn't camping or tunneling, it was your teammate making a huge mistake and me punishing it.