Dumb rant about perks

I've had a stupid build for the past 15-20ish games. I equipped Saboteur and Breakdown to counter Scourge perks, Blast Mine to "counter" gen kicking perks, and Counter Force to counter hex perks. And in every single one of these games..

Not once has a killer triggered my Blast Mine

Not once has a killer run a scourge hook perk

Not once has a killer run a hex perk where it mattered (a couple ran NOED but we didn't make it to end game)

What is the ######### point of running any perk other than meta ones that guarantee value? Before I equipped this build I regularly came across Pentimento, Plaything, Overcharge, Pain Resonance, etc. What are the odds??

Comments

  • I stopped using Counterforce because it interfered with my teammates' boons too much and hex perks are far less common now that Ruin finally got nerfed.

    I'm quite surprised you didn't see a scourge hook once in 15-20 matches though. I was running sabo + breakdown the other night too and it definitely got some value. One game I had a killer who tried to hook my friend near my exponential totem and they had to drop because I sabotaged it (and I knew it was a scourge hook) so they picked themselves up almost instantly afterwards.

  • Not a dumb rant. It's a good criticism. So many perks are way too situational to consider bringing to a trial. It's what makes so many perks bad.

  • It's because survivors go in completely blind. The killer can see survivor's items at least and he can sometimes choose appropriate perks. The opposite is not true, so you're stuck with perks that unfortunately bring no value if certain conditions aren't met, which sucks to be honest. I wish we had more agency while in the lobby regarding that. Like maybe one survivor out of the four knows who the killer is and can bring (or not) perks that might counter some part of him if he guesses his build right. I think for solo que it could work but probably it'd be too strong for SWF.


    I came from LoL, which has draft and is more competitive than DBD so some aspects of this game seem very weird to me.