I'm sure Adam was teaching English in Japan.
I'm a Japanese fan of Adam. I've summarized what I'm thinking about him.
What subject does Adam teach in Japan? What kind of school does he work for?
If you think of it as fan fiction, it's anything. But,if I tell a realistic story, he is likely to be an assistant English teacher. It is called "ALT (Assistant Language Teacher)" in Japan. I think it is a common job for foreigners in Japan.
There were ALT teachers in both public junior high and high schools where I graduated.
In Japan, Japanese teachers teach based on English grammar. However, pronunciation and communication are not comparable to native speakers. Therefore, we employ foreign teachers in Japan. The salary is about 200,000〜300,000 yen a month.
No special qualifications are required. If you can speak English even if you are not fluent in Japanese, you can become a teacher. It requires a little academic ability, but it's easy for Adam, who has graduated from graduate school.
Conversely, if you want to teach a subject other than English in Japan, you must take the lesson in that subject in Japanese and then obtain the education license by a test written in Japanese. This is a pretty tough road. it is impossible for Adam.He is a beginner level Japanese language when he came to Japan.He has no history of taking classes at university in Japan in the first place, so he is likely to be an English teacher. No matter how much he wore a Math sweater.
In his clothes, there is a description of observing club activities. Adam went to the art, basketball and chemistry clubs. We should pay attention to the chemistry club. I feel this is a rare club activity. I don't think most public junior high schools have that club. I think public high school or a private high school or private junior high school has the club.The school trip destination is South Korea. Public junior high schools do not choose a school trip abroad.
I think Adam was an ALT teacher at a high school or a private (junior)high school in Kagoshima . I think the type of visa is "instructor".
I think Adam's Japanese ability is quite high. Rather, I think he is very smart. This is because it is difficult for foreigners to learn Japanese. There are hiragana, katakana and kanji in Japanese. There are many homonyms. There are also honorifics.
He came to Japan with a beginner level of Japanese proficiency. But It says in his profile that he has improved in a few months. Japanese will not improve in a few months. It's very difficult. The Japanese Language Proficiency Test has 5 levels. N5 is the easiest. But even that is a lot of work. Japanese students study English grammar for 3years in junior high school.while looking at the Japanese textbook for foreigner , I felt that N5 was as same as it.
Daily conversation is possible up to N3. Even if you can't read or write Japanese , if you can speak and listen at N3 level, it help your Japanese life well . N2 has topics such as honorifics. I think it's a level closer to business and difficult content. I think Adam was self-taught and had levels from N5 to N4 before coming to Japan. It takes about 6 to 8 months of study for each level. If he came to Japan and approached N3 ~ N2 for a few months, he really is a hard worker and a smart person. And I wondered why he was so enthusiastic about studying. My speculation is that the book his father left was about Japanese literature. He worked hard to study for a connection with his father. There is a big reason to learn very difficult Japanese. Isn't he looking for something in Japan? Growing up in an environment without his parents, I'm sure he wants to know his roots. If his father's book was the catalyst, I think it should be a book about Japan.
★☆★
Kagoshima, where he lives, is a relatively warm place in Japan. The specialties are pork (pork cutlet) and sake.
Adam is "あだむ" in Hiragana and Katakana is "アダム". In Japan, when you call someone politely, you add "san" after the person's name. Therefore, when he calls Jonah Vasquez in Japanese style, it becomes "Jonah-san".
When Adam calls out "Jonah-san," maybe, Jonah Vasquez and Jonathan(Stranger Things) replies.
Adam's B team pajamas I saw recently. "ぐうぐう=gu-u gu-u" was written on the pants. This is the meaning of "ZZZ", which is a sound that expresses the state of sleeping in Japanese.
Comments
I lived in Japan for a few years for work. Every English teacher I met had to have a university degree to get a decent job. A teaching degree was the gold standard.
People who had no university degree but were just native english speakers could scarcely find decent work, and usually couldn't get a working Visa as companies wanted the degree to sponsor them. Idk, maybe things have changed since then.
Basically Adam probably has a Uni degree (well educated).
Adam lore