The Real Problem with Gen Speeds

Since the patch, I have actually played a ton of survivor (I got iri 1 quickly on killer and decided I liked the survivor game more now that I'm not basically forced to run DH). I've got a few builds set up, depending on what kind of playstyle I'm going for (looping the killer, rescuing from hooks, gens and stealth, etc.) And there's some nuance to gen speeds I think many survivors are ignoring or failing to understand.

When I go to a gen, with no toolbox, no prove thyself, and no teammates, I absolutely feel the extra 10 seconds. Doing a solo gen was painful before and excruciating now. Maybe it's good for the game, maybe it's bad, but it sucks and I'm not having a good time. But I realized when I have my toolbox, or working with another person (especially with prove thyself), the gens feel speedy and we're one step ahead of the killer. That's when I realized, all this crying about gen speeds is because survivors are playing incorrectly. They aren't adapting, so it's no wonder they're choosing to complain. After all, complaining about a change is easier than learning to overcome it.

As it stands, doing a solo gen with no perks or advantages is not how the game is designed to be played. Sure, in a pinch it may be necessary, but there's usually a smarter way. If you want a solo q game that has a better chance of succeeding, simply bring prove thyself and off the record, your exhaustion perk of choice, and whatever the heck you feel like last (kindred is a great solo q choice). This ensures when you do gens with another person they complete quickly, you generally know where people are at important times, you can loop enough to escape or keep the killer busy, and you can avoid the oft-whined-about "tunneling" with an 80 second BT.

I'm having more fun playing solo queue than I have in many patches. I've improved as a player, and while I know there were nerfs, once you get over the sting of realizing your new and fairer power level, you're gonna be fine.

Comments

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    Situational Awareness and Prove Thyself will definitely be handy perks for solo queue, just hope the killer doesn’t have Discordance. Overzealous was recently buffed as well and even gives you 16% repair speed when cleansing hexes, it works great when combined with counterforce and even more if the Killer is using Pentimento as it counts as a hex cleanse.

    Toolboxes definitely have more value than before and I think more people should consider using them over flashlights. My current survivor build for solo q is:

    • Situational Awareness

    • Prove Thyself

    • Kindred

    • Dead Hard

    A constructive post? Are you in the right place? This is amazing.

  • Nobody wants to comment here because they hate the truth. Doesn't suit their victim narrative

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3086793#Comment_3086793

    Oh wait, sorry, ahem-

    Using any of these perks or items is almost useless in solo-q. Your teammates will probably just give up on hook or leave you to die anyway so you may as well just run Calm Spirit to meme on them and go cleanse every totem to stop the Mikaela from booning a totem with Dark Theory tier 1. Don’t forget to tell the Killer how much of a crutch using sweaty try-hard they are in the post game chat!

    Much better

  • To be fair, the 10sec is that much, but its very effective on tunnelers & especially campers.

    Further more, the biggest thing about Gen time is the regression. Since is possible to have a Gen at 95% being regressed to 0. That possibility also come with low regression speed.

  • @C3Tooth said:

    To be fair, the 10sec is that much, but its very effective on tunnelers & especially campers.

    Further more, the biggest thing about Gen time is the regression. Since is possible to have a Gen at 95% being regressed to 0. That possibility also come with low regression speed.

    Not sure how any of that changes my stance that the gens are doing just fine when you team up and soloing a gen with no enhancements is a bad strategy.

  • Devs refuse to make actually doing gens more interactive, so duration changes and that cursed progress bar are going to make any efficiency decrease feel miserable. This is the one issue they actually need to reinvent the wheel on instead of all the other "literally why" decisions that go into most reworks, and all they did was throw some extra time on while killing most (but not all) regression meta.

  • @Dunkinspunkin said:

    Since the patch, I have actually played a ton of survivor (I got iri 1 quickly on killer and decided I liked the survivor game more now that I'm not basically forced to run DH). I've got a few builds set up, depending on what kind of playstyle I'm going for (looping the killer, rescuing from hooks, gens and stealth, etc.) And there's some nuance to gen speeds I think many survivors are ignoring or failing to understand.

    When I go to a gen, with no toolbox, no prove thyself, and no teammates, I absolutely feel the extra 10 seconds. Doing a solo gen was painful before and excruciating now. Maybe it's good for the game, maybe it's bad, but it sucks and I'm not having a good time. But I realized when I have my toolbox, or working with another person (especially with prove thyself), the gens feel speedy and we're one step ahead of the killer. That's when I realized, all this crying about gen speeds is because survivors are playing incorrectly. They aren't adapting, so it's no wonder they're choosing to complain. After all, complaining about a change is easier than learning to overcome it.

    As it stands, doing a solo gen with no perks or advantages is not how the game is designed to be played. Sure, in a pinch it may be necessary, but there's usually a smarter way. If you want a solo q game that has a better chance of succeeding, simply bring prove thyself and off the record, your exhaustion perk of choice, and whatever the heck you feel like last (kindred is a great solo q choice). This ensures when you do gens with another person they complete quickly, you generally know where people are at important times, you can loop enough to escape or keep the killer busy, and you can avoid the oft-whined-about "tunneling" with an 80 second BT.

    I'm having more fun playing solo queue than I have in many patches. I've improved as a player, and while I know there were nerfs, once you get over the sting of realizing your new and fairer power level, you're gonna be fine.

    As a killer, I run Discordance basically baseline - so I love it when people huddle up on a gen.

    The survivors that scare me split up immediately and take gens a reasonable distance away from each other.

    That 10 seconds...really isn't that much, factoring in the hefty nerf to most regression perks. If those perks had been nerfed, it would have been ridiculous not to change gen speeds.

  • @Ryuhi said:

    Devs refuse to make actually doing gens more interactive, so duration changes and that cursed progress bar are going to make any efficiency decrease feel miserable. This is the one issue they actually need to reinvent the wheel on instead of all the other "literally why" decisions that go into most reworks, and all they did was throw some extra time on while killing most (but not all) regression meta.

    My stupid idea that buy time for killer but not increase Gen time for survivors:

    Give "check points" for Gen, like 40-70-100%. If Gen progressing goes pass 40, lets say its 60%, the possible for that Gen to regress is down to 40%. This way, instead of completing each Gen, its more strategy to do 40% or 70% of many Gens, as its more favor to have 70% on Gen 3-4-5 than having 0% on Gen 5. The movement between Gens on survivors will buy more time than adding 10sec of Gens.

    That way, regression Gen perks can also be buffed. Since the most regression perks can make is 30-40% instead of 100%.