My opinions on the July dev update

After going over the changes a few times and thinking about all of them, here’s my opinions on everything

Progression

I am content with everything that is being changed from the PTB to live servers, not happy necessarily, but content, increasing the point cap per category to 10,000, future changes to how prestige affects addon drop rates, and increasing the total cap to 2mil BP are all good, but they’re not what I wanted, I’d rather the cap for how many points you can get in a single category be removed, that way people aren’t punished with less BPs if they happen to get tunnelled or don’t want to be in chase, I also would rather the BP cap be removed entirely since it really has no reason to exist

Prestige

I’m going to be straight with everyone, I do not give a devil’s damn about Prestiging, I didn’t care that it cost 50k, I didn’t care that the special banner for people who were already prestige 3 looked like #########, it was mostly meaningless to me since I had already done pretty much all of the “grind” that I wanted to do, that being said, everything being changed on this front is good too, just because I don’t give a damn doesn’t mean other people also don’t

Balancing

Endurance no longer stacks, I really didn’t see the Endurance “meta” being all that big of a issue, since A. everything you needed for the build except PTB OTR already existed in the game, and exactly zero people were running it, B. Save The Best For Last exists, and C. A survivor running around like a idiot trying to get this build to work and get MoM stacks is both vulnerable and not doing gens, but this was still a good change,

Spine Chill now activates when killer has LoS, this on top of hearing news about accessibility options for deaf/hard of hearing people is a good thing, I’m still a bit upset we will no longer have the hilarity that is Spine Chill/Resilience, but anything to make DBD easier to play for more people is always a good thing

Dead Hard’s duration is being cut in half, when I first saw this I genuinely did a spit-take and then started laughing hard enough to nearly throw out my back, the nerf to DH was already fine, this was just overkill, I’m not too upset though, after all, I lose 5 months off my lifespan every time a survivor uses current DH to extend the chase when it should have ended right then and there

OTR is being deactivated during endgame, I didn’t think the perk would be a issue without extensive setup and dedicating a entire perk build to it before, and I don’t think it’ll be a issue now with this nerf and endurance stacking being effectively removed

Overcharge is getting a regression decrease, again, I didn’t think this perk would be a issue before, and I don’t think it’ll be a issue now, it’s really not that hard to hide near a gen, wait for the killer to leave, hit a skill check, and then continue

Botany Knowledge is getting a 20% medkit inefficiency nerf, good, medkits and self healing are way too ######### strong already, any nerf to that is a good thing

Survivor Groans are going to get looked at so that they’re all the same volume, I genuinely do not know why that isn’t already the case, but it’s great that it’s getting changed

Inner Focus is getting it’s range limit removed, I mean…ok? I didn’t run this before and I’m probably not going to run it when it goes live, Bond and Alert already do more for telling me what my teammates are doing with more consistency, it’s a nice change but I don’t really see the point in it

Visual Changes

i a do like the gold trimming for the perk charms, but I would rather they have been the first fully customisable charms in the game, like you could get a colour wheel and change the look of the perk icon, the background and the trim, the thought is appreciated, but I would have liked more out of them, the red background is also more pleasing to the eye then the piss gold one, I am rather curious what the devs meant by “Animated Scratch Marks”, because that definitely sounds interesting, as for the prestige icons, I don’t really care, I just say my GGs in endgame chat and don’t usually stick around long enough to notice them


but yeah, that’s my opinions, I’m overall very happy with the changes that are going Live, but there are definitely areas that I feel could have been done better

Comments

  • @DragonMasterDarren said:

    After going over the changes a few times and thinking about all of them, here’s my opinions on everything

    Progression

    I am content with everything that is being changed from the PTB to live servers, not happy necessarily, but content, increasing the point cap per category to 10,000, future changes to how prestige affects addon drop rates, and increasing the total cap to 2mil BP are all good, but they’re not what I wanted, I’d rather the cap for how many points you can get in a single category be removed, that way people aren’t punished with less BPs if they happen to get tunnelled or don’t want to be in chase, I also would rather the BP cap be removed entirely since it really has no reason to exist

    Prestige

    I’m going to be straight with everyone, I do not give a devil’s damn about Prestiging, I didn’t care that it cost 50k, I didn’t care that the special banner for people who were already prestige 3 looked like #########, it was mostly meaningless to me since I had already done pretty much all of the “grind” that I wanted to do, that being said, everything being changed on this front is good too, just because I don’t give a damn doesn’t mean other people also don’t

    Balancing

    Endurance no longer stacks, I really didn’t see the Endurance “meta” being all that big of a issue, since A. everything you needed for the build except PTB OTR already existed in the game, and exactly zero people were running it, B. Save The Best For Last exists, and C. A survivor running around like a idiot trying to get this build to work and get MoM stacks is both vulnerable and not doing gens, but this was still a good change,

    Spine Chill now activates when killer has LoS, this on top of hearing news about accessibility options for deaf/hard of hearing people is a good thing, I’m still a bit upset we will no longer have the hilarity that is Spine Chill/Resilience, but anything to make DBD easier to play for more people is always a good thing

    Dead Hard’s duration is being cut in half, when I first saw this I genuinely did a spit-take and then started laughing hard enough to nearly throw out my back, the nerf to DH was already fine, this was just overkill, I’m not too upset though, after all, I lose 5 months off my lifespan every time a survivor uses current DH to extend the chase when it should have ended right then and there

    OTR is being deactivated during endgame, I didn’t think the perk would be a issue without extensive setup and dedicating a entire perk build to it before, and I don’t think it’ll be a issue now with this nerf and endurance stacking being effectively removed

    Overcharge is getting a regression decrease, again, I didn’t think this perk would be a issue before, and I don’t think it’ll be a issue now, it’s really not that hard to hide near a gen, wait for the killer to leave, hit a skill check, and then continue

    Botany Knowledge is getting a 20% medkit inefficiency nerf, good, medkits and self healing are way too ######### strong already, any nerf to that is a good thing

    Survivor Groans are going to get looked at so that they’re all the same volume, I genuinely do not know why that isn’t already the case, but it’s great that it’s getting changed

    Inner Focus is getting it’s range limit removed, I mean…ok? I didn’t run this before and I’m probably not going to run it when it goes live, Bond and Alert already do more for telling me what my teammates are doing with more consistency, it’s a nice change but I don’t really see the point in it

    Visual Changes

    i a do like the gold trimming for the perk charms, but I would rather they have been the first fully customisable charms in the game, like you could get a colour wheel and change the look of the perk icon, the background and the trim, the thought is appreciated, but I would have liked more out of them, the red background is also more pleasing to the eye then the piss gold one, I am rather curious what the devs meant by “Animated Scratch Marks”, because that definitely sounds interesting, as for the prestige icons, I don’t really care, I just say my GGs in endgame chat and don’t usually stick around long enough to notice them

    but yeah, that’s my opinions, I’m overall very happy with the changes that are going Live, but there are definitely areas that I feel could have been done better

    I like the portraits a lot. Got my nemesis to p3 today because I wanted it for him. Dead hard being dead I liked a lot. Everything else was good too

  • I do think 1 second might have been a bit too long for Dead Hard, but I agree, 0,5 seconds will make the perk pretty bad. 0,75 seconds would have been much better. But I rather have Dead Hard useless than too strong.

    The same goes for Overcharge. As it's the one slowdown perk that is harsher on new survivors than on experienced survivors, because of the skillcheck, I really don't think this perk should be meta. If it did become meta, it should be without the skill check part.

    I would say that I am pretty happy with all the changes mentioned in the dev update, but disappointed by the lack of other changes that were still really needed, like the DS and Self Care nerf that should have been reverted, and most importantly, still no actual, proper nerfs to camping and tunneling. The latter in particular I am positive will make a fair amount of survivor players, especially solo survivors, take a break from the game.