The Archives are really Hit or Miss

I am the only one who finds the Archive stories kinda of disappointing?

For starters, the whole "everyone forgets lol" thing is something that everyone ignores because it just robs so much story potential.

We then have the observer who I don't care about. At all. In fact, outside of the blight story line, most of the lore outside of the killers and survivors is just boring. May I remind you, the blight story line led to the blight, so even that story line is argubly still about killers and survivors. It feels like BHVR wants to tell stories about everything but the killers and survivors.

When they do talk about the killer and survivors, roll a three sided dice. Either it ruins a character like Nurse's tome, is really interesting but will never be expanded upon like Yui's, or is neat but changes nothing like the Clown.

In any case, it just feels like the Archives are suffering the same thing Warhammer 40k suffers from, a refusal to change the status quo in any major way. Sure, the observer might be dead but that changes nothing for the core cast.

There are some really cool tomes that I like a lot but there are just as many that are just horrible. The fact that nothing can change thanks to the convenient amnesia plot device that the entity got from ACME makes the entire story of Dead By Daylight so boring.

Until BHVR decides to let an event actually matter to the main cast, the archives will always just be hit or miss.

Comments

  • the only part i dislike about the archives is the Cinematics still being pretty basic not to much to see for spending a lot of time playing.

  • IMO the stories conveyed in the tomes are complete and utter flops devoid of true creative intent.

    Voice acting and animation is pretty solid, I like the talent involved - but the writing, oh Lord in heaven - I prefer fanfiction to some of it.

    Not only is the Style all wrong with prose demonstrative of the art, but the direction is painfully misguided.

    Instead of getting cute little snippets of our favorite character's lives, we get odd and obtuse ideological angles, incongruous and often misplaced 'expansions' on character lore, and deleterious and conflicting information that serves only to muddy and detract from the very world that it all is set out to expand upon.

    I often listen to the tomes to get an idea of what direction the team was going for with some characters - but it more often than not fills me with more questions and confusion than not.

    I love the effort that the team has put into their beloved creations, I just hope that they can shake the proverbial etch-a-sketch and set things right later on down the line, because I'd hate for so much damage to the stories remain with the passing of time.