Devs: 2 Questions Regarding Matchmaking (And Urban Legends)

So, with MMR testing underway, I thought that it would be a good chance to ask the devs (or anyone else in the know) to clarify certain things about the system.

Now...keep in mind that dominant wisdom on these things mostly comes down to urban legends - stuff that has been asserted in the past, but nobody remembers where it comes from or - when it comes down to it - if it's true.

  1. The '3 week reset'. Is this true? I honestly forget where this one came from, it may have been an offhanded hypothetical, or something from Reddit. Basically - after you don't play a killer for a while (for some reason I recall the number as 3 weeks) the killer of that MMR resets to the number from #2. Is there any truth to this?
  2. 'New Killer' MMR - How does this work? Another 'I don't know where this one comes from' - when you play a killer for the first time, or play a killer that you haven't played for yonks - the MMR assigned to that killer is pegged just below your 'best' killer. Now, this is a weird one, as anecdotally - it does feel that way. For instance, when I started playing Sadako, I was facing some pretty strong opponents. Ditto Plague, after I didn't play her for a long time.

Very curious.

Comments

    1. I think they have talked about it in some way in the dev update in January. There is currently no regressing or resetting of MMR but they are thinking about implementing it in some way because it’s reasonable to assume that your skill goes down a bit if you don’t play for a long time.
    2. new killers or killers you have just never played are not starting with an MMR score of zero, the devs have never confirmed exactly how it’s calculated but they are taking some kind of average from your other killers that you have experience with.