I feel like SBMM/MMR is discouraging me from getting any more than 8 hooks 0 kills
I play a bit of both survivor and killer. I find both to be equally enjoyable, and equally frustrating.
My gripe here however is more fixated towards killer and how the result in which kind of lobby I'm put into is heavily influenced by how many kills I get in subsequent games.
I won't go into the notion of how skill = amount of kills, given that the topic is so heavily discussed and the general consensus seems to have been established, but I will provide my personal anecdotal evidence just to provide context for the title of this thread.
As Plague, whom I purchased about a week ago. I started off rolling through games. Getting 4k's every round. It was apparent that the groups I was being paired against were getting tougher, as less fountains were being used, better perks and maneuvers were encountered, etc. It's now gotten to a point where every game I play as Plague is so depressingly uneven that I can't get a single hook because the skill level of the players I'm up against is outrageous!
In contrast, I've been playing Ghostface recently, for which again, I very recently purchased and have been playing with the mentality of not getting any kills, and at most getting 8 hooks so my SBMM doesn't sway out of control like it did with Plague. The difference in games I'm having is night and day! Players I encounter as Ghostface are about the same skill level as myself when I play survivor. I encounter meta perks but the players all give me a good challenge and often times I can't get to 8 hooks, but it's at least still fun.
tl;dr: The more kills I get, the sweatier the lobbies. The less kills I get, the more I can actually play against people who give me a challenge and don't just make me feel like I'm a chew toy in a wolves den.
Comments
That's more or less the way the system is intended to work. Like any other game, it's possible to get hard stuck in an MMR bracket until you improve. In DbD especially, perks become more and more important as MMR rises
You'll notice a greater variance in opponent if you play during peak hours. Matchmaking is a lot more lax.
But.. this has always been the case, even before MMR.