The Toxicity

There's things within this community/game that have caused it as a whole to be toxic. Some of which I don't understand why it's the way it is, and just wanted to give my opinion on a few of the things.

Us vs them: This is a kind of mindset that developed kinda early on in DBDs life. It's the whole mentality that one side is better, or one side should be a certain way cause that's how the opposing side wants it. And I get where it comes from, I was like this at first too when I started out and only ever played killer. I was always like, "Man survivors have it so easy, killers need buffs."

And then one day I decided to start playing survivor more frequently, a lot actually. When I first started, and was getting my butt handed to me every match, then I was like, "Okay, maybe it's not as easy and simple as I thought it was."

The simple fact is, both sides have had, and still currently have, things that are strong or a little bit broken. And both sides feel they're the weaker side, or the side that is unheard or nerfed too much. When in actuality, we're all one side. We're DBD players, regardless if you play survivor or killer. Yes killers are there for survivor enjoyment, but survivors are also there for killers enjoyment. You can't have one without the other or there'd be no game. There should be less focus on us vs them, and more Us as players seeking the best changes for the game as a whole. Because without one side, the other doesn't exist. So my suggestion, try playing the other side. Don't put on the strongest builds, do random ones or no build at all, and do that for a while. You'll start to notice that there are things on both sides that are screwed up, whether they're too strong or too week. And as players we shouldn't be condemning the other side for using them, as they didn't create them. They're just taking advantage of poor mechanics and game balance. We as a community of survivors and killers should just be one, not separate entities (pun intended).


The 4k/5gen rule: There's a lot of people on both sides that feel they should get an absolute win almost every game. And I think quite a bit of that comes from the content creators. I'm not trying to talk down on them because most of them are cool people that have helped this game and it's community grow. But, I feel like they kinda helped to create this mentality as well.

The whole 50 "win" streaks done by multiple content creators, or the run the killer for 5 gens and escape thing. Most of the times they have rules like, exit Gates can't be powered and you have to kill all 4 people or 3 with 1 hatch escapes, things like that. But these are their OWN rules that they set for themselves. The game nor the devs actually set a win condition before SBMM was introduced. But this mindset existed long before that was ever introduced. And even with their win condition of 2 escapes and 2 deaths, is supposed to be an average across many many many games, not just an every match should be that way type thing. There's nothing in the game that says you should be able to kill everybody or most of them a majority of the time, and vice versa.

That's a mindset, a false expectation, that was created early on by the community. Nobody set the rules for anybody. And the ones who have videos who set those rules for themselves are people with thousands of hours in the game who know it like the back of their hand. They did challenges like that because they had already done everything else. The average players aren't going to be able to recreate that, and nor should they be able to. But we've created that false idea that it should be the norm, and we've failed if it doesn't happen like that. And when you feel you've failed you get upset and frustrated.

But really, winning is just whatever you set your goal to. It could be something as simple as completing a certain challenge, or getting max stacks on bbq so you can get a lot of bloodpoints regardless of the outcome of a match. Like if I'm running a rift challenge for say the pig, and that's my goal is to compete the challenge, and I do it, why does it matter if I kill everyone or not? I did what I set out to do, so I've already won. If you set out to 4k or run a killer for 5 gens every game then yeah, you're gonna be disappointed. But you shouldn't be able to do that anyways. If you can 4k everyone at 4-5 gens, or run a killer for 5 gens almost every game, that's not just skill. That means there's something that isn't balanced in the game. And I'd rather a balanced game over a game where I'm guaranteed to win every time.


There's more I could go on about, but this is already too long.

Comments