Why hook states wouldn't work
I hear a lot that hook states should be counted in determining MMR and SBMM. While I do agree that maybe it could use more than just kills/escapes, I don't think hook in their current state would work, and here's why.
Right now, if you hook a survivor, and camp them till they die, you get 3 hook states, even though you only hooked them once. That's how it currently works. If you hook kill all survivors then you'll get 12 hook states, even if one survivor was only hooked once.
So if we counted in hooks, nothing would change. You'd still have camping killers. Let's say you had a face camping bubba, who hooked camped 2 survivors to death. That'd still be counted as 6 hook states, despite him only hooking them once each. So it'd still count that as an even match up, 6 out of 12. That's half just like 2 kills would be. I think people have this thought that they track every hook that's done in every match, which is ridiculous. The amount of effort to track every hook done, every pallet thrown, each generator that's completely, and so on is just too much. Now hook states are probably tracked, along with kills, escapes, hatch escapes, and generators done. As well as post game things like perks and add-ons. But calculating how many times you actually hooked someone is probably not done to the affect that people are thinking.
To only count hooks you'd have to change how hooking and hook stages work, which is a whole system having to be reworked. Which would be highly abusable and really punishing to players who just play normally. Let's say you're playing as killer and down someone at the beginning of the match right? You hook them, and then they kill themselves on hook. Well that's going to punish you as a killer cause it looks like you only got 1 hook in. And vice versa if they're looking at saves for survivors, that's just going to make it look like you're not saving and you end up being punished as well. All for something you have no control over. But at the same time, it looks like that survivor was only hooked once, so they lose very little.
That's not uncommon right? Random survivor in your group killing themselves on hook, it happens to everyone. Now imagine how much more that'd happen because people stopped caring. Why should they care? Doesn't affect their MMR, not as much as it's going to affect yours. That doesn't make sense though. Why should you be punished more for someone else killing themselves, right?
So while I do think just kills/escapes is a bit to basic, I don't think hooks and saves are the way to go. Right now, yes it's not the best system, and there's some cases where you have bad matches and you're the better teammate but end up dying while the ones who are bad escape. It does happen. But I will say, when comparing myself to other players I play with who aren't as skilled, I escape a lot more than they do. And it's not cause of hiding or letting anyone die. I run BT and go for saves constantly. But I'm smarter in the way I do it, and make better macro decisions than they do. So while it isn't perfect, it does translate to skill a lot more than people give credit.
Comments