You can’t change the game without CHANGING the game

Before I begin, I’d like to introduce myself. I’m a Killer main who loves DbD and all the fun interactions that comes with it. I love the feeling of dread and urgency as a Survivor as you’re trying to complete the objective, and the feeling of adrenaline as you get into a new chase as Killer. I only have about 200 hours worth of gameplay, so forgive me if I’m wrong on a few details.

I feel that all of the problems that everyone talks about are inherent to the game’s design.

If we look at the most talked about problems, they’re MMR, gen repair speeds, item balancing issues, Killer balancing issues, map problems, toxic gameplay, etc.

THERE IS NO SINGLE SOLUTION TO ALL OF THIS.

Sure, BHVR can rework killers, or redesign maps. But that doesn’t fix problems like face camping or tunneling.

These techniques exist in the game because they’re effective. Why? Because it reduces the number of survivors on the team, and therefore makes the Killer’s job easier.

How do we fix this? Not very easily.

In my eyes, no amount of perk nerfs/reworks would make any significant difference in the long run. Even if Decisive Strike becomes basekit, or BT, or whatever, the Killer meta will change to deal with it and will still focus on killing one Survivor early on to weaken the team.

Survivors have a similar meta, to keep this from happening. As long as the game maintains its current main objective, this meta will be maintained as well.

Therefore, my opinion is that if the game continues like it is, face camping and tunneling will always exist in this game. It’s something that everyone should expect, and I think it should not be considered “toxic” gameplay anymore. It’s simply the smarter play.


This is just one example. Other things, like MMR, aren’t easy to fix. Everyone said that it’s terrible, but in my experience it’s been pretty nice. The only complaint that I have is that I’ll sometimes face Survivors with over 2000 hrs in the game in the same lobby as survivors with 150, and it’s extremely obvious which Survivors have more time in the game.

There is no possible way to accurately determine MMR while using a computer. The only solution that I can think of is to have a manual rating system that the other players can use to rate your performance that match, but for obvious reasons that would also be highly inaccurate and quite stupid to implement.

Overall, I love DbD and everything it comes with. There’s no real way to change the game without altering the game’s core components, so I think everyone should stop complaining about the game’s issues and focus on what matters most: having fun and remembering that it’s designed as a casual game.

Comments