MMR and Perspective
I think one of the main problems with the MMR system is not necessarily the system per say but how each person experiences it. I say this especially about newer players and all the posts about this and that being over/under powered or needs a buff/nerf. There are a ton of things that need to be addressed but there is one thing that could solve some of the frustration. One thing I really don't like is the priority of wait time in the que. In case you are unfamiliar, the matchmaking system tries to match you with similar MMR players but after an unknown amount of time it will prioritize wait time and match people that are outside their appropriate MMR range.
When you are newer, regardless of role, you should never be thrown in a game with much more experienced players. A new survivor is going to get rolled by an experienced killer and vice versa. I would like to see something done about this. We do not know what our MMR scores are but there needs to be something put in place that vast differences in skill and experience are not match together.
For example, lets say the MMR system goes from 1-100. I think within this range there needs to be defined "pools" of players and you will not play people outside of that until you reach the next pool. So lets say each pool of players with and MMR of 1-25 will never be matched with people outside there pool. Once they improved their MMR they would move up and play better competition. I think a gradual progression will let newer players learn the game.
Another thing that I am curious about is how the game is perceived by SWF when they are solo que. I'm not here to debate SWF just the fact that four people playing together can rely on other teammates to help them out. When those players go to solo do they perceive the game differently, or do they expect the same success?
I'll use an example from me and my SWF. Two of our team picked up DBD during a sale and wanted to give it a go. The other two of use have played a long time. During our matches myself and the other experienced player was able to carry the newer players and we were 3-4 escapes most games. The new people had a lot of fun because we were "winning". Later in the week I received texts and calls from the new players complaining about the things they are experiencing in the game. I listened and had to tell them that the game is complex and what they were experiencing as a newer player was normal.
Do you think that having something like this would reduce some of the player base especially newer players?
Comments
Im going to restate the story. Let me know if this sounds right:
OP brought two new players to the game and inflated their MMR by carrying them through matches that were higher than their natural MMR would’ve likely been without the SWF. When no longer playing in the SWF they got torn apart.
That on point? Sounds like OP you pushed those players above the 1-25 bracket before they were ready and now have to figure out Calculus without taking Trigonometry if that makes sense (happened to me in High School).