Focusing more on chases has made a world of difference

Man, I have really been enjoying my killer games a lot more by focusing on my chases then trying to stop all the gens being done.

Even if I get a 0k, I can still enjoy a match if I know I improved my chasing ability more. I don't even use gen slow down perks.

I feel like as a new player (around 160 hours), this has kinda been a mental breakthrough for me and enjoy playing killer more.

Comments

  • @BrokenSouI said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/292926/focusing-more-on-chases-has-made-a-world-of-difference

    That's good for you, truly. But reality is. It's your job to stop the gens from popping. It is NOT healthy for the game to be "well survivors are going to escape" At that point you're just their play thing/punching bag

    Why even have "death hook" hook states at that point. Instead of it being "you can't kill survivors"

    Slight correction- it's your job to stop the survivors from escaping. The game's not over just because the last generator popped, so focusing more on chasing and downing than necessarily stopping a generator isn't the worst decision in the world.

    Besides, this is clearly a learning mindset, so your point is a little moot. You should accept that you're going to lose a lot while you're learning, for any game.

  • @BrokenSouI said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2618861#Comment_2618861

    I may have worded it incorrectly. But my point is. While that mindset is fine for them. It is NOT good for the game.

    They can have what they think is fun/good chases and have all 4 escape with 2 hooks all game. And that's great for them.

    But it is NOT good for the game. And is not a mentality that killers should just "adapt to" Because it can be borderline impossible to catch survivors without forcing them to come for hooks and exchanging.

    Where did OP say it was "good for the game"?

    All I see is 'good for their personal enjoyment' here - there's not even a recommendation that other killers adopt the same mentality.

  • It's genuinely depressing to read posts like this that basically boil down to "This game is so poorly balanced that I have accepted it's not possible for my role to win."

  • @BrokenSouI said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2618861#Comment_2618861

    I may have worded it incorrectly. But my point is. While that mindset is fine for them. It is NOT good for the game.

    They can have what they think is fun/good chases and have all 4 escape with 2 hooks all game. And that's great for them.

    But it is NOT good for the game. And is not a mentality that killers should just "adapt to" Because it can be borderline impossible to catch survivors without forcing them to come for hooks and exchanging.

    Don't get me wrong, a 4k feels very satisfying and I try my best to end chases and get hooks as soon as possible (or slug if that may be better), I noticed that when I focused so much on preventing gens from popping, I put this mental stress on myself like I am always playing catch up and worrying the whole game.

    In a chase, I feel like I have more control (especially with perks that help chases) and that's what helps me feel better playing as killer. With gens, I just kept worrying so much they would finish it before I'd even get there to stop it.

    But yeah, definitely learning a lot. I'm just glad to be in a better mind set with playing killer lately :)

  • @thebrentster911 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2618866#Comment_2618866

    Don't get me wrong, a 4k feels very satisfying and I try my best to end chases and get hooks as soon as possible (or slug if that may be better), I noticed that when I focused so much on preventing gens from popping, I put this mental stress on myself like I am always playing catch up and worrying the whole game.

    In a chase, I feel like I have more control (especially with perks that help chases) and that's what helps me feel better playing as killer. With gens, I just kept worrying so much they would finish it before I'd even get there to stop it.

    But yeah, definitely learning a lot. I'm just glad to be in a better mind set with playing killer lately :)

    My question is how you are having matches that last longer than 4 minutes if you aren't trying to stop gens or get people off them? That's the issue I'd have. Matches aren't fun when they don't last longer than the queue+loading screen. And that's a major complaint killers have. The game can be over in minutes without gen regression/delay.

  • @BrokenSouI said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/292926/focusing-more-on-chases-has-made-a-world-of-difference

    That's good for you, truly. But reality is. It's your job to stop the gens from popping. It is NOT healthy for the game to be "well survivors are going to escape" At that point you're just their play thing/punching bag

    Why even have "death hook" hook states at that point. Instead of it being "you can't kill survivors"

    Maybe if more people start playing like that the devs will be forced at some point to do something. Right now against even average survivors on a lot of maps you have to play in an unfun way to squeeze out some kills. The problem is that the devs care more about their sTaTiStIcS and 50% kill rate than how balanced and fun the game is, so playing like that is like shooting yourself at the foot because the devs don't care about your fun as long as you keep having those 2-4ks.

  • I stopped running gen slow downs on several killers and just chase. Those games don’t last long but they’re not as stressful.