Noting down my thoughts on the Nemesis
This is partly a rant and partly a discussion on my current thoughts on the Nemesis. Feel free to share your thoughts and opinions in the comments but please remember to be respectful to one another.
Blight has started to get a little stale for me, especially with how unreliable his collision can be. However, I've been strangely drawn to playing the Nemesis as I wanted to understand him and I have actually been enjoying myself although some issues with him have become quite apparent.
When playing as the Nemesis, I find it kind of frustrating how useless the zombies seem to be. Especially if there is a flashlight or two in the match. I have tried on many occasions to corral a Survivor into a Zombie during chase yet, I've only had success with that a single time thus far (The zombie didn't even hit the Survivor, they simply zoned them out of the pallet). The Zombies are so slow that no matter what I do, they end up never actually being any threat to the Survivors. On many occasions, the Survivors have gotten right next to the Zombies, but escaped unscathed because the Zombies only move at about 25% speed (Without add-ons, add-ons don't help much with that though) and they are very slow to react.
To add insult to injury, the Zombies' AI can be janky at times and they often bug themselves out. For example, in a recent match of mine, a Zombie was close to my ruin totem. The zombie recognized there was a Survivor on the totem but rather then going around the bits of junk and pressuring the Survivor off it, he instead just continually walked into the little wall. Low and behold, the totem got destroyed because I couldn't make it there in time and the Zombie decided the junk was more important then the Survivor. I've also seen many instances of Zombies just getting stuck on nothing. In these instances, you're just straight up down one zombie unless you're willing to go out of your way to destroy it so it respawns elsewhere. As well as all this, the tracking they provide can sometimes be more confusing then helpful. At times, I see that a Zombie's arms are outstretched so I go there only to realise that they aren't even facing the direction the Survivor is actually going in, thereby buying the Survivor distance and therefore time.
At the moment, the Zombies mainly seem like a somewhat unreliable tracking tool and nothing more. Which would be perfectly fine if the Killer himself was good enough to compensate. Thing is, the Nemesis is mainly an M1 killer who can break pallets fast and occasionally hit through windows or over pallets. Don't get me wrong, he's not terrible, far from it. If the Survivors don't use vaccines then he can be a major threat in chase by the mid-game. However, having to hit Survivors 3 times if he even wants to have a power is downright insulting and neuters any meta potential he has. Especially since the initial infection is still treated as them losing a health state in the sense that they get a speed boost and (as far as I'm aware) lose their collision.
Overall, Nemesis is a Killer with a huge amount of potential but he's being held back by janky AI on the Zombies and an otherwise archaic design decision (The Devs should know that it's ridiculous that a Killer would need to chew through 3 health states if they want to use their power). Despite his issues, I have been enjoying him and I do hope that everyone else is too.
Comments