I Think Dead by Daylight Just Peaked
Dead by Daylight just got Resident Evil under its belt. That means a lot. Resident Evil fans are now coming over to Dead by Daylight, and with Resident Evil being one of the most popular horror franchises of all time, DbD will see its player numbers absolutely skyrocket. But with this I have a question. What now?
Resident Evil is one of three franchises that I personally think are the best for BHVR to do crossovers with. The other two being Alien, and Five Nights at Freddy's.
This is not a discussion about whether those franchises should or shouldn't come to DbD, this is simply me saying that these franchises will attract the most people. Sure, there are other franchises that would increase the player base (Left 4 Dead, Hellraiser, Friday the Thirteenth, and The Ring to name a few off the top of my head), but none that would leave an impact like Fnaf or Alien.
Personally, I think BHVR should include both of these franchises, not only because I am a huge fan of them, but Dead by Daylight needs the stimulation. With the release of The Binding of Kin and All-Kill, players were less than satisfied. The two killers, The Twins and The Trickster were disliked upon release and still disliked by alot of the community. The Twins featured a lot of bugs on release, as well as a lot of bugs mixed in with the game and other killers. They were also incredibly weak gameplay-wise and not all that fun. However BHVR got people back on track with the promotion of the new All-Kill chapter. The promotion was led across social media, and was incredibly different than anything they had done before. Many people caught on to the fact that the new chapter was going to be K-pop themed. I personally had nothing wrong with that, other games such as League of Legends tried this and it turned out profitable in the business area, and a fun, high quality product for the player base. However Dead by Daylight mishandled it. With the reveal of the Trickster, players were really disappointed. The hype of the promotion was let down by the poorly designed killer. The Trickster was not scary or intimidating. He was a K-Pop star covered in blood. There was so much missed potential with the idea of a K-pop horror villain. I thought that the killer might be some sort of modern day siren. With the promotion of the chapter being focused around a woman, and the teaser displaying that the chapter would of to do with music, I really thought that they may do a fun take on a mythological being like a siren. However, I was let down... by a lot. The trickster was not only boring in design, but just a straight out worse version of another killer.
So, that leads us to the player base being really angry at BHVR for making two horrible chapters in a row. So when Resident Evil was announced it brought a lot of people back into the game. But that leaves us right back to where we started. We are at the top of the mountain. We now have to climb down.
With the announcement of a Five Nights at Freddy's movie coming in the future, a lot of FNaF fans (such as myself) are super excited and hoping that DbD takes the opportunity to do a collab.
Alien is also just an iconic horror franchise that I feel Dead by Daylight has been lacking for a while. The Xenomorph would be a really interesting killer to come in to Dead by Daylight.
However, this leads to a problem for BHVR. These franchises are controversial. Five Nights at Freddy's is considered "Too childish" by some players, or the other glaring issue of not having an optimal survivor choice. There are several human characters in Five Nights at Freddy's, but none actually shown to us.
The Xenomorph is considered to be too powerful for Dead by Daylight (however with the release of nemesis I don't feel like that is a valid complaint anymore). There is also the fact that DbD has another alien-ish killer, with the Demogorgon. They are both killing machines with nothing else on their mind but to kill. They also both act and movie like predators.
Overall, this is a problem I have wanted to talk to BHVR about. I am really curious to see where they are going with their game. Will they just do original chapters and avoid controversy, or will they risk it all and try to add the more risky franchises. Either way, its going to be an interesting journey. Happy gaming!
Edit: Okay the Resident Evil chapter is an embarrassing catastrophe for not only the devs, but for literally everyone involved in DbD.
Three failed chapters in a row is not good for anyone. If anything this only proves my point more. They need to get these franchises in now more than ever. But based on history, I feel like DbD actually has just started going down the peak. The strikes and DbD may be out. With the whole Fnaf and Scott Cawthon controversy (please don't argue on if he deserved to be canceled or not, this is not the place for that) Fnaf may be off the table for a little bit. Alien, however, is still on.
All I can say is, BHVR, get your act together.
Comments
It's not my opinion. Those two franchises are the most hyped. There are several other killers I also want in DbD, hell, I would like Fiddlesticks from Leauge of legends in the game, but that probably won't happen as that's not a hyped crossover. Resident Evil was also incredibly hyped. They could release other franchise crossovers,, im not saying the wont, they just eventually have to bring out the big guns soon to top Resident Evil. Also why did you create a second account? Just use your first one.
Yeah, I feel like I'm going to have to make a few edits soon.