Ranking and swf
This is my last post about this, I swear. This is a slight rant about the balance of dbd and how it's very a skew. I enjoy playing a game with friends, I also do enjoy slight competitive games as well. But, not for dead by daylight. In fact it's so special in these regards that it doesn't work well for either.
Allow me to explain.
I've mentioned this before in a different post, but in all these other games, you're dealing with another team that's on par with you, coms and the likes, etc. But, dbd doesn't. 4v1 and the 1 doesn't have too much power to over come this problem unless they are doing the meta.
This, evidently causes a huge power curve.
Can't remove it. People will riot.
Can't buff killers too much because that would be torture for people who actually solo que as a survivor. How are they gonna have fun?
Extra blood point and iridescent shards are a nice touch, but it still doesn't solve the balance issue.
Buffing solo survivors could be an issue as well, at first I was with this idea.
But, toxic ideas spawns another. Hear me out in this hypothetical situation. Let's say they buff solo survivors... let's use something people kinda want, an aura reveal on a random survivor, like bond. Now, this is a slight buff that drastically increases a solo survivors chance at having fun at the game. Now for the issue, let's imagine that in this made up world, they actually implemented this idea. Maybe it even decreased the sfw rate. (Hooray) but then a new problem emerges, there are a bunch of solos who can see each other and get an understanding of what that survivor is dealing with. Now we have a weird version of the same issue. All be it, worse than orginal. But, still. Okay, let's not use auras then, but we would still have a very similar issue nonetheless.
Can't increase gen times, then that would be a slaughter.
Can't give the option for killers to ignore sfws with a press of a button, because que times will be hell
Secondary objectives are both an interesting and freakish slaughter yet again. We even have evidence of this as well.
2018's Halloween event: Pulsating pus flowers people had to fill a bar to finish harvesting this that actively deterred survivors from doing gens UNTIL they had their fill.
2019 Chinese new years event: These lamps were actually a better design, you didn't have to waste so much time filling up a meter before you can do the objective, but still caused a bunch of survivors to run away from gens.
Red glyphs: Read 2019's issue.
Now for ranking. Really is nonexistent. We're still getting matched with rainbow broken smurf ranks. Someone told me they would rather wait a few extra minutes to get in a match so they don't get compared to the same issues. But.. why? They're literally waiting extra time for the same thing they'll run into even if they remove ranking completely. I've been told they changed how the current ranking match making system works. What that system is "total play time" I don't believe this, but I mention this in the hopes that I would be called an idiot for believing in this rather than it being REAL. If that's the case however, they changed mmr so much that it doesn't seem to matter if it existed or not.
I know that sounds stupid and someone is gonna tell me that it works perfectly fine. But, from the years I've played the game, which was late 2016, we've all had these hellish broken match making moments.
So, my final thoughts is summed up to is this.
"It's broken. Too many ill thought decisions were implemented into this game that it would be a horrendous mistake to revoke these decisions. Fixing one thing will completely shatter everything and it would be impossible to reason with."
They would have to completely rework the whole game to solve lot of these major issues.
I do love this game, I don't want it to die and I know it seems like a pointless post sounding as if I'm gonna quit or the game is hopeless. If the developers care about their game and just as important us, I wish they would communicate with us more, focus less on the cosmetics, and work on key features.
I'm sorry if it seems as if I'm just spamming this general discussion with pointless ideals.
Comments
I think that a system that allows killers or swfs to opt into harder games for extra bloodpoints can fix alot of the problems that you're bringing up.
This is how it would work, it would be an offering that you can only get after you P3 a character. when used the bloodpoints earned for all survivors is double and killer is double.
Survivor: The offering is only valid for survivor if you're in a SWF of any size. You will only be matched with killers that of the same rank tier as your highest level survivor. (You may need to wait longer for a game, but the extra bloodpoints should make the wait well worth it)
Killer: The offering increases the likely hood that you'll go verses a SWF.
Matchmaking will prioritize putting these 2 groups together if possible.
This would mean that the killers and survivors are both willing participants and properly reward each side. It would stand to reason that new killers would avoid an offering that would increase the likelyhood of a SWF while the Bloodpoints would incentivize strong killers to run the offering.
--
Now I know that there's a major flaw to this idea and that is that you burn offerings after matchmaking has already happened. I'm not sure how to fix this, but just ignore that specific plot hole when giving feedback to this idea. I know that with the way that offerings work it wouldn't actually work.
I get what you mean, I'm personally just too tired. I keep getting paired with sfws and there's honestly no choice but to accept this [bad word] fate.