Do killer veterans have higher standards than survivor veterans ?

By killer veteran I mean a person who has loads of time in the game and particularly/primarily plays killer. Survivor veteran, plays primarily survivor (or that's where their strength is at, at least)

I'm not a veteran myself, but when I talk to other killer veterans and ask for advice, some streamers and some just regular players, they tend to say similar things, such as if you want to get better at playing killer, don't rely on slowdown perks (i.e. ruin, pop, sometimes corrupt if they consider that slowdown) and that even against better teams (in pub games) that you don't need it to pretty much win every game, regardless of killer. Subsequently, I see a pretty decent variety in perks chosen by killer streamers.

However, when I do the same with survivor veterans, I've never seen this advice, even when asked about their opinion on what types of perks to avoid using when trying to get better. They basically say run whatever you want. I've only come across one veteran who recommended to not use exhaustion perks when trying to improve because you otherwise would develop a dependency on it. Everyone else, they basically say use strong perks if you want to and that won't hamper your skill at all. Personally, when I see a lot of survivor streamers they tend to run the same powerful perks (iron will/dh/ds/ub/some similarly-powerful perks). Sometimes if they're in a swf they can have more variety but overall the swf tend to have more powerful perks than not. At least in community-made statistics of survivor perks chosen in X amount of games (say, 500), you see a lot less variety when comparing it to similar statistics of killers.

This is not to say survivors running strong perks are never critiqued, simply that it seems to at the very least be taken a lot less seriously. There is the infamous pejorative term of 'small pp build' but it doesn't seem to be taken very seriously on either side, particularly killer since that type of build is seen so often. However, if you were to be, say, undying ruin tinkerer spirit with mother-daughter ring I'm going to get roasted hard. Meanwhile it's just kind of expected to go against survivors with meta builds all the time and criticism about that isn't taken very seriously. At least

Note: Just my experience, not trying to say what I've seen is fact, but starting a discussion about what other people think/their experiences and thoughts on the overall topic

Comments

  • I think this is a very interesting topic. I think it could maybe come down to the fact that gameplay differs very little from game to game for survivors, and they have so many perks that do similar things that getting dependent on a few isn't as punishing as it may be for killers? That, and they can't really have a perk taken away from them either.

    Like, if Iron Will gets nerfed then we still have Off the record and self preservation. Not as good, obviously, but there's still an option for them. If Dead Hard gets nerfed, you have several other exhaustions perks (and frankly, Sprint burst is just better than DH to begin with). If self care gets nerfed, you have Inner Strength, Second Wind, Solidarity, aura reading perks that help you find others so they can heal you, medkits... And so on. Also none of these perks can be disabled by a killer either.

    Meanwhile, a killer who runs corrupt, ruin, undying, pop can find themselves running one perk towards the middle/end of the game and the quality of their games may vary wildly depending on how long ruin stays up in particular. The games where they get lucky with RNG will usually be able to help them climb and offset the games where they lose these perks immediately and struggle to stay on top of survivors because they haven't learned how to properly punish survivors, how to run tiles, how to pressure gens (which doesn't necessarily mean kicking a gen or defending it). So it makes more sense to tell a killer to learn the basics and the fundamentals of the game, maybe run one slowdown perk, and find other perks that don't immediately effect gens so they can improve their skill and get consistent without bandaid fixes.

  • I should think that survivors have higher standards. Killers don't have to care if other killers get good because it's not like it's affecting their game, because only 1 killer is allowed per match. Survivors on the other hand desperately need good teammates in order to win, so they're gonna get as much good info out there as possible.